Kelly's Reviews > Slaughterhouse-Five

Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut

May 30, 2007

bookshelves: fiction, worlds-lost-dead-and-dying, owned, 20th-century-postwar-to-late
Recommended for: everyone
Read in May, 2003

This was my first, and to date, only Vonnegut experience. I read this in my junior year of high school, tacked onto the end of the year. Mostly as an indulgence to my english teacher who was obsessed with Vonnegut and squeezing it in at the end of the year to have people to fanboy and geek out with after they'd read it. Then I read it and figured out why he was so obsessed. I have to say, this book yanked me firmly into modern literature. (At the time I was deep into my love for 18th and 19th century prose style. Didn't really get over that. Just paused it for a time.) After Vonnegut, I read a slew of men from around his time period. I really credit this book with making me branch out a whole lot more.

His sense of humour is so absurd, and there is rarely a laugh that I don't feel somewhat bad about laughing about. But I loved it anyway. His account of Dresden was absolutely heartbreaking to me, and I read it over and over again. The style is completely engaging, and made this a fairly fast read for me, despite the subject matter. I think that everyone should at least /try/ this book, even if the sound of it doesn't appeal to you.

If someone has another Vonnegut to recommend, do let me know.
23 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Slaughterhouse-Five.

02/09 marked as: read

message 1: by Taylor (last edited 2 hours, 4 min ago) (new)

Taylor I have a Vonnegut recommendation!

message 2: by Kelly (last edited 2 hours, 4 min ago) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kelly You know, it's funny. Of all the books I was expecting to see when I clicked on that... I haven't even heard of this one! I'll have to look into it, though. It sounds different enough from Slaughterhouse Five.

message 3: by Jack (last edited 2 hours, 1 min ago) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jack Kelly,

I was about to recommend "Sirens," but Taylor already has, so I offer a "Ditto." I have read all of his novels, and most of his short stories, and at least "liked" all of them, many I loved. I list Vonnegut among the handful of my favorite authors. "Sirens of Titan" is my personal favorite. But, they all are warm, absurd, and profoundly human.

Jack

message 4: by Kelly (last edited 2 hours, 1 min ago) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kelly Jack,

Thank you. It's good to have a second opinion about which book is best to read next. Vonnegut does tend to produce some... slight disagreement. As I'm sure you're aware, since he's of your faovrites. :) I will definitely make sure that this one is on my list. Which is getting sinfully long thanks to this site, I have to say!

Thanks!

Kelly

message 5: by Jack (last edited 2 hours, 0 min ago) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jack Yeah, a friend pushed me into this site less than a month ago, after we both finished finals. I feel kind of like a meth addict must feel. The site beckons, has me itching to get on and feed my habit.

Jack

message 6: by Jaguthin (last edited 1 hour, 42 min ago) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jaguthin Without a doubt, read Deadeye Dick. That one is worth is just for the first page. Avoid Life!

-Jag

Daniel I'm late to the game, but I'd recommend "Breakfast of Champions." It might be my favorite Vonnegut; it was also my first, and perhaps the first Vonnegut book you read will always be your favorite.

Manny Funny how everyone has a different recommendation! I would have said Cat's Cradle was obviously his masterpiece, with Mother Night second.

s.penkevich I'm years late to adding to this, but if you haven't by now read any of his short stories, I would highly recommend them. They are usually very entertaining, funny and satirical like his novels, only truncated to a few pages.

Cecily I've only read a few Vonnegut (including this), but my favourite is Galapagos: funny, but with lots to think about (my review here: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...).

Kelly Thanks for the recommendation. Years later, I still haven't gone back to Vonnegut, but I hope to someday soon!

Arnie I would recommend Breakfast of Champions and God Bless You Mr. Rosewater. When Vonnegut first became a cult hero among college students, many of them cited Cat's Cradle as a favorite.