Matthew's Reviews > The Story of Saiunkoku, Vol. 1

1975413
Mar 11, 11

bookshelves: graphic-novels, manga, young-adult
Read in March, 2011

The story and concept here are great. Shurei Hong is part of a noble family, but a family with serious financial troubles. To help her family's finances Shurei takes a position as consort for the new 19-year-old emperor who seems more intent on leaving all the work to his advisors. Shurei is sent in to give the emperor a better sense of responsibilty and take command of his realm.

It's very character driven with some nice bits of humor worked in. The art---from the girls to the boys to the backgrounds---is all very nice and pretty. But at least for me, it's all very wordy. If fact there are several pages where the words threaten to crowd the artwork right off the page. Lots of standing around and talking and telling us what is happening and not a lot of showing any sense of expression or emotion or conflict through the art. It's possible it will get stronger as it goes after it gets all the setup taken care of, but we will see.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Story of Saiunkoku, Vol. 1.