Jen (Red Hot Books)'s Reviews > Dark Fire

Dark Fire by Christine Feehan

May 10, 11

bookshelves: carpathians, pararnormal-romance
Read in January, 2010, read count: 2

I am a longtime fan of Christine Feehan. I've read almost everything she has ever written and I've always loved the Carpathian series. But I found myself frequently annoyed throughout the course of this book. I don't remember if I felt this way the first time I read it. In fact, I recall it as one of the better ones in the series. But this time around, the book made me very frustrated.

Darius is a Carpathian male who grew up apart from his homeland. When he was only six years old, he lead a group of children away from a massacre in their village and he raised them on his own. Now, hundreds of years later, they are traveling the United States as part of a band. He lives without color or emotion, and he feels himself nearing the point where he must either face the sun or turn into a vampire. (If you're not up on the Carpathian mythology, check out my review on Dark Prince .) But everything changes when his sister hires Tempest as the band's mechanic.

Tempest has led a hard life. She grew up in foster care and on the streets. She has been abused and now lives as a loner. She can communicate psychically with animals. And she has no idea that Carpathians or vampires exist until she meets Darius. Of course, he knows she is his lifemate right away, which makes it kind of creepy when he keeps talking about how young she looks and how child-like she appears. But what is so irritating about the book is the way he completely takes over her life.

Yeah, yeah, that's the Carpathian way. The men always think they know best and have to protect the women. But Darius is like a turbo-Alpha. Over and over and over, he dismisses her feelings; he overrides her decisions; he forces her to his will. And then she is mad for a nano-second and forgives him. He thinks it's all ok because he knows best. And frankly, it pisses me off. It's not sexy. It's not romantic. One time in particular, he brings her into a volcano (don't ask) to stay the night. She is scared and uncomfortable and tells him clearly and unequivocably that she wants to leave. So he renders her unconscious and takes away her choices. Then wakes her up in the morning, or I guess I should say evening, with a stiffy. And then after their tumble, she realizes what he did, gets mad and then instantly gets over it.

I know it's not all that different from some of the other installments. It actally reminds me a bit of Mikhail and Raven. Add to that, the flowery language that's the hallmark of the series. Feehan uses the word "velvet" 49 times in this book and not once is she referring to fabric. (I actually counted.) In fact, from now on, I think I'll end every Carpathian review with a "velvet" word count... and if I'm feeling extra creative, I'll break it down to include the subcategories of "velvet sheath," "velvet tip," and "velvet over iron."

All this complaining may sound like I hated the book, but perversely, I didn't. I actually like the series. I enjoy the world-building, the destined soul-mates and most of the characters. Clearly it holds some attraction because I keep coming back for more. Maybe it's book-crack. 4 stars.

Velvet word count: 49
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Fire.

Comments (showing 1-8)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 8: by jD (new)

jD This is one of the two I have not read. I just knew he would get on my nerves so I skipped it and the one about the other girl he raised that could heal the earth. She had too many issues.

Megan Riverina Romantics/Meggerfly I haven't gotten far into the series. I loved your review! I'll be looking for your velvet count from now on!

Cindi Velvet ...yeah, Ms. Fee does get stuck on a new word in each book, I've noticed.

This one was my 1st Carpathian book and I became obsessed. Now, many - too many, IMHO - books later I have become irritated with them for the reasons you listed. Its the same in all the books, tho, not just this one. What originally appealed to me as super romantic now is just stalkerific and obsessive. I put off reading the new installment as long as I can because the stories remain the same, but eventually I fall off the wagon. Now, tho, I just check them out from the library instead of buying them. Is there a 12-Step Program for this?

message 5: by jD (new)

jD You are at Step 10 -- library lending over buying. Step 11 -- follow spoilers without reading book. Step 12 -- write your own ending in your head and walk away. I did it with The Hollows and it worked well.

message 4: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen (Red Hot Books) If there is, I haven't found it. I'm still reading the damn things!

Cindi JD, will you be my sponsor? What is the Hollows, BTW?

message 2: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen (Red Hot Books) The Hollows is the Rachel Morgan series by Kim Harrison. (I have not entered the program on that one. --I still love them.) The first was Dead Witch Walking (The Hollows, #1) by Kim Harrison --but I didn't really start to love them until For a Few Demons More (The Hollows, #5) by Kim Harrison. I think they've gotten better and better.

Cindi I thought so. I actually finished Pale Demon late last night :) I love that series! But I feel kinda strung out while reading them as they're moving so fast...