Maja (The Nocturnal Library)'s Reviews > Graveminder

Graveminder by Melissa Marr

I wouldn’t exactly call Graveminder urban fantasy, but I don’t know what else to call it either, so I guess I’ll just leave it on my UF shelf. It reminded me of a small town horror story. I should probably list what I liked and didn’t like here. Don't worry, it’s going to be very short.

What I liked:
- From what I understand, Melissa Marr didn’t plan this as a series. Everything was wrapped up nicely which was very refreshing.
- 3rd person narrative and multiple POVs made the story a little hard to get into, but once I did, I enjoyed the change.
- Some of the supporting characters, like Amity. They were far more interesting than either Rebekkah or Byron.
- The world of the dead was really interesting, and the characters there were amazing.

What I didn’t like (I’ll try to keep it as short as possible):
- The names Rebekkah and Byron. Rebekkah is even worse than Faythe and I didn’t think that was possible. I want a UF heroine named Mary. That would be a nice change.
- The story was sadly predictable. I could see everything coming from a mile away. That made it a little boring, and not just in the middle.
- Some parts of the story didn’t make any sense, but I can’t really explain them without major spoilers.
- It was mentioned several times that the dead aren’t really zombies, but they do rise from their graves and walk around biting people. I say if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck…

I wouldn’t recommend this books to anyone, but I wouldn’t want to stop you from reading it either. I’m sure some of my friends will enjoy it far more than I did.
42 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Graveminder.

message 1: by Limonessa (new)

Limonessa let me know about this. i like marr but i wanted to burn darkest mercy

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Lol, the Fae scare me to death. I haven't even read that series.

message 3: by Limonessa (new)

Limonessa Maja wrote: "Lol, the Fae scare me to death. I haven't even read that series.

This is 3rd person, switching POVs. It's a little unusual, but I'm liking it so far."

The Fae scare you to death?! How about the FEVER series?????

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Oh, God, I hadn't slept for weeks after finishing it.

But I never really had a choice. :D

[image error]

message 5: by Limonessa (new)

Limonessa :D :D :D

message 6: by Limonessa (new)

Limonessa Ok. I cannot bear another disappointment. DM was enough. Thanks for the review Maja!

message 7: by Limonessa (new)

Limonessa hey Maja have you read the latest update on Ilona Andrews reading this book? I think they might have read your review.... hahahah

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) No, I've been at work all day. What did I do now?! Lol.

message 9: by Limonessa (new)

Limonessa Maja wrote: "No, I've been at work all day. What did I do now?! Lol."

They gave an explanation for the hideous Rebekkah name. I immediately thought about your review.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I've got to read this one!

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Seriously?! It's the 'small town horror story' part, right?! :D

message 12: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura Hey! Mary would be a nice name for a heroine right about now! btw...that sounds like a duck to me! This might just stay on my maybe shelf for awhile. Thanks, Maja! :)

message 13: by Lora (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lora I just started this and I'm already feeling ambivalent. Add that to Maja's review and I don't have high hopes. Oh well, it's a library book.

inkwashesout Most of the names (Rebekkah, Byron, Amity) are old-fashioned names or spellings that contribute to the feeling of a small town whose fate is still determined by a contract made centuries ago.

message 15: by Sai (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sai Really Mary? That's a pretty mediocre name right? Something more interesting maybe? but Don't get me wrong i absolutely despised the name Rebbekah :D

Arlian So, just wanted to let you know that Graveminder is the first in a series. She talks about it in this interview.