Katie Michaels's Reviews > Dark Lover

Dark Lover by J.R. Ward

Mar 11, 2011

bookshelves: black-dagger-brotherhood, pararnormal-romance
Read in January, 2010 , read count: 2

I start this review with the acknowledgement that the characters have ridiculous names. There. I said it. But I strongly encourage you to get past that. Because the Black Dagger Brotherhood is knock-your-socks-off-sexy. And this is the book that started it all.

In this world JR Ward has created, there are vampires. They cannot go in the sun and they drink blood, but only the blood of an opposite-sex member of their own race. The live under the radars of humans. And they are hunted by soulless killers, known as Lessers. The defenders of their race are a group of warrior vampires known as the Black Dagger Brotherhood.

As our story begins, one of the Brothers (Darius) is killed in bomb set by a Lesser. It was his dying wish for his friend Wrath to take care of his half-human daughter Beth. She has no idea Darius was her dad and knows nothing of her vampire heritage. But soon, she will reach the age of transition, where she will become truly vampire. And for that she needs the blood of a male vamp. Enter Wrath.

When the two of them meet, it's instant fire. They jump in the sack in less time than it takes you to say "holy crap." It. Is. So. Hot. Of course, their path isn't easy. Wrath is the leader of the Brotherhood and is the King of his people. He already has a wife, of sorts, but he has never had a sexual relationship with her. They have only met each other's blood needs. The vampire world is new and scary to Beth. But she is no simpering whiner; She is a great leading lady: strong, loyal and smart. And because of that --and the unbreakable connection between her and Wrath-- their happy ending is a foregone conclusion.

There are several cut scenes to what is happening with the Lessers and, like many other people, I have trouble not skimming through their pages to get back to the main story. (This is true for all the BDB books.) Of course, this part of the story is necessary too, so try not skip it.

The book has a great band of supporting characters. Almost all are destined to have their own books. Ward weaves all their stories together, so as a reader, I feel part of their family. And it IS a family. If you haven't read this book yet, now is the time. It is amazing. 5 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Lover.

03/22/2011 page 1
0.0% "I am starting my BDB re-read. Can't wait for Lover Unleashed!!" 2 comments

Debbie♥ love my Ducks♥ Great review Jen! Can't get enough of the BDB that's for sure. ;)

Cat Russell  (Addicted2Heroines) Love the review. Beth was always my favorite shellan.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I was unable to get past the names. I did read it all but names really affect how I feel about a book. These were like a big joke.

Cat Russell  (Addicted2Heroines) My husband loves making fun of the names. He always puts an exaggerated emphasis on the H's. It's funniest when he mocks Rehvenge ;)

Mariya LOL I don't mind the names only if it's weird name like Tohr's supposed heroine, No'One. Are you serious!? Come one, pick something else that doesn't sound like the words no one.

Cat Russell  (Addicted2Heroines) You don't like No'One? Want her to change it to Nohbody?

message 7: by Mariya (last edited Aug 09, 2011 04:34PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mariya the name sounds too weird too me for a name, but then again Nohbody is worse LOL

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Mariya wrote: "the name sounds too weird too me for a name, but then again Nohbody is worse LOL"

LOL!!!