Jen (Red Hot Books)'s Reviews > Magic Burns

Magic Burns by Ilona Andrews

May 19, 11

bookshelves: kate-daniels, urban-fantasy
Read in September, 2010, read count: 2

The most appealing thing about any Kate Daniels book, is hands-down, Kate Daniels herself. She strong and smart, witty and irreverent. And it doesn’t look like she ever gets a moment’s peace. As the book begins, a few months have passed since the events of Magic Bites. Kate is working as a liaison between the mercenary guild and the Order of Merciful Aid. And the waves of magic in the world are growing more frequent and intense, indicating a flare is on the horizon.

While on a mission for the Pack, Kate’s path crosses with a young girl named Julie. Her mom is missing and soon Kate realizes that the woman was part of a coven that was messing with forces beyond their control. Kate makes it her mission to take care of Julie and figure out where her mother is. The coven’s work, though incomplete, has already unleashed some serious baddies which are coming after Julie and Kate. And if that weren’t distraction enough, there’s a sexy archer named Bran thrown in the mix… and his only clear intentions seem to be bedding Kate!

Of course, it’s hard to root for anyone to be with Kate, other than the super-sexy alpha Beast Lord, Curran. There are some great revelations here about his intentions toward our heroine. And their interactions are great fun to watch. Their dialogue is fast, funny, and sometimes sexy. One of my favorite things about the series is watching the slow-build between these two!

There are also some great secondary stories here, some featuring familiar faces like Crest and Red; others are new, like Andrea and Julie. Old relationships end; new ones begin. And we’re still getting nuggets of information about Kate’s past and the secrets to her power. Not a dull moment in sight. 4 1/2 stars.

12 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Magic Burns.

Quotes Jen Liked

Ilona Andrews
“The vampire stared at me, his mouth slack as Ghastek assessed his options. I took a couple of forms from my desk, put them into the vamp's mouth, and pulled them up by their edges.
"What are you doing?" Ghastek asked.
"My hole puncher broke."
"You have no respect for the undead.”
Ilona Andrews, Magic Burns