Anita's Reviews > Mercy Blade

Mercy Blade by Faith Hunter

Mar 11, 2011

bookshelves: urban-fantasy, five-star-favorites, paranormal-romance, paranormal-mystery
Read in March, 2011

As of 2011, this is the most current book (3rd) in the Jane Yellowrock urban fantasy series, which has only covered a couple months of time in Jane's life so far. I absolutely love this series - it's made me a big fan of this author and I'l going to look into her other works now. If you like kick-ass, supernatural female protagonists in the urban fantasy subgenre, you will like this series. It's very well written and the cast of characters comes alive. Highly recommended, but read the series in order - that's important in this case.

At the end of the last book, Jane got a job offer for the vampire master of the city of New Orleans, Leo, to work for his security detail on retainer for a year. We start of this book finding out she took the offer, and also got togther with Rick as a couple. Within the first few pages, we learn that the weres are coming out of the closet and both Jane and Rick get pulled into the politics of it by their respective employers, Rick as an undercover cop and Jane to make sure nothing goes wrong at a diplomatic summit party between the cat weres and vamps. Also, Leo sends Jane to tell an old enemy to stay out his territory, but the enemy part doesn't make any sense to her. Leo is leaving out all sort of details that could get her killed, and to complicate matters, the wolf weres are out for revenge against Leo, and someone is trying to frame Leo and Bruiser, then Rick is kidnapped. Evageline stayed in New Orleans as Jane's roommate until the witch/vamp negotiations are settled, and something weird is up with her, too.

I really liked that this story has so many elements that eventually come together, but it's hard to guess how until the big reveal at the end. I figured out only one twist, but I had enough clues to figure out a couple more. I like that it's written so you are right there with the protagonist, not ahead of or behind her as you figure it all out. Jane's personality is well-written, too. Multifaceted.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mercy Blade.