Molly's Reviews > 31 Bond Street

Mar 18, 11

Recommended to Molly by: TLC
Recommended for: everyone
Read in March, 2011

I love getting and reading a book and ending up surprised (pleasantly, of course!) with the content. This author is fantastic. She took a true crime and wove it's details into a magnificent work of fiction. From beginning to end, she filled the pages with words and characters that become the reader. The reader is taken on twists and turns through out, following the author's clue like words to the very end.

The setting is set just before the civil war in New York. There's carriages and fancy dresses, there's little boys who do errands for important people, and then there's crime. A murder. A horribly, gruesome, mysterious murder of a Bond Street dentist. Instantly, I was hooked on this richly detailed crime. I felt the excitement of the town when it found out about the murder of Dr. Burdell. I became Henry Clinton, if but for a time, as I (he) tried to find the answers and save Emma Cunnigham, one of the last people to see the Doctor alive. This is just something I could never think about happening back then, but through fabulous research, Ellen Horan brings it to life and now I know:scandalous, greedy murders were a part of the history then.

If you love fiction, if you love true crime, if you simply love the work of an outstanding author, then, without hesitation, read this beyond 5 star, high society, dramatic, scandalous crime debut. Ellen Horan has instantly made a place for herself on my favorites list, and I look forward to more WOWmazing work centered around true crime, the Civil War era, and complex characters!
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 31 Bond Street.