Bobbi's Reviews > Modoc: The True Story of the Greatest Elephant That Ever Lived

Modoc by Ralph Helfer

Mar 11, 2011

did not like it
bookshelves: did-not-finish, yuck
Read from March 31 to April 03, 2011

I am only halfway through this book and I can hardly bear to turn one page after the other. Believe me, if this book had not been a book club book, I would burn it! It one were teaching the meaning of anthropomorphism, giving human qualities to animals, this would be right up there on the top of the list. "he knows that the chain around his foot is the right thing" for an elephant. Oh, come on!! There is so much poetic license in this "true" story that it shouldn't even be on the fiction list. Some reviews have said that every animal lover will love this story. No way!! No elephant or any other wild animal should be kept as part of a circus or zoo or in any other confinement; they're "wild"; get it? The writing is horrible. Give me a break! PS. Barnum and Bailey's is coming to town, and I'll be right there amidst the protesters. You should be, too.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Modoc.

message 1: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia :( I love elephants. Have you heard about the dot com CEO who shot an elephant saying it was attacking some villagers crops. He's standing over it with his gun and a foot on the carcass.

Bobbi No. Do you know who it is? I have a real thing about elephants, too. They're such intelligent and social animals. I had the privilege of visiting Kenya when I was younger and met one up close and personal. I was walking down a dirt road, and went around a sharp curve. An elephant was coming from the other direction. We both stopped, looked at each other, and slowly turned around and left. I just can't stand the thought of them being in captivity of any kind.

message 3: by Maria (new)

Maria Elephants rule.

Debbie I know these comments were posted a while back, but I just have to say that I had the same experience as Bobbi. I was visiting Kenya several years back. I walked down a dirt road to take a picture and as I turned a curve, I came upon an elephant eating in the bushes. We looked at each other, and I slowly turned and left leaving him to his breakfast. It was life-changing. See these animals in the wild makes seeing them in captivity unbearable.

Grace you knew the premise going in. the life of a circus elephant. if you didn't think that she should have lived her life, then you shouldn't have read the book. your fault.
on the flip side, anyone who has shared such a strong human animal bond will relate to the bond behind mo and Bram. truly a touching story of a boy trying to ensure the happiness of his beloved elephant, overcoming every obstacle that the world threw their way.

Adrienne Mcvicker reing Wow, who rained on your parade?

Cathy Brown This incredible story takes the reader on an amazing journey of discovery. The writer's investigation of the elephant's history is remarkable.