Misfit's Reviews > Tides of War

Tides of War by Stella Tillyard

Sep 12, 11

bookshelves: did-not-finish

I have picked this book up and put it down three times now and having reached the halfway mark with still no sign of a consistent story I've decided to yield. As interesting as the period is, I think that author has tried too hard to show off her knowledge by stuffing everything but the kitchen sink into this tome and it suffers because of that. Instead of focusing on a small cast of characters centered around James and Harriet Raven, we've got a huge cast that spans three pages of the Dramatis Personae at the back of the book. I had to flip back to this on virtually ever page, and I shudder to imagine what one would have to go through trying to read this on Kindle or other ebook format. Add to this the constant POV switches that arrive with mind-numbing regularity and it shakes down to a book that just isn't for me. The writing was lovely, but without a story to go with it...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tides of War.

09/02/2011 page 59

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* This one looks good Misfit..where did you get wind of it?

message 2: by Misfit (new) - added it

Misfit Sandi wrote: "This one looks good Misfit..where did you get wind of it?"

Tara spotted this one. She gets all the credit.

message 3: by Tara (new) - rated it 1 star

Tara Chevrestt I spotted it on a blog.. I just don't remember which one. LOL I'm undecided on it.

message 4: by Tara (new) - rated it 1 star

Tara Chevrestt This is on LibraryThing this month

message 5: by Misfit (new) - added it

Misfit Thanks, I missed that.

Jill Misfit are you reading this next week? My copy is in at the library. Do you want to do a buddy-read?

message 7: by Misfit (new) - added it

Misfit Jill, that is do-able. Most likely the book will land Tuesday or Wednesday.

Jill Excellent.

message 9: by Misfit (new) - added it

Misfit What group should we use for the buddy thread?

Tara is getting this from Vine, but I don't know when she'll start it.

message 10: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Misfit you're the expert on these things.
I'll leave it in your capable hands.

And do you want to wait for Tara to get her copy?
I don't mind waiting.

message 11: by Misfit (new) - added it

Misfit Jill, Tara's in Vine so she'll get her copy same day as me. Her reading schedule is another story...

message 12: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Okay, just let me know when you have your copy and you're ready to start.

message 13: by Misfit (new) - added it

Misfit Will do.

message 14: by Tara (new) - rated it 1 star

Tara Chevrestt Misfit, I want to read Winter Palace first as I am the most excited about it.. I think I will get to this one around Friday. Does that work?

message 15: by Tara (new) - rated it 1 star

Tara Chevrestt I would like to participate in this reading buddy thing.. We read it at the same time and discuss it, right? That sounds so exciting! (I'm so lame!)

message 16: by Dawn (& Ron) (new) - added it

Dawn (& Ron) Still green with envy hearing you guys talk about the books you get. I hope to one day do a "lame" buddy read one day too.

message 17: by Tara (new) - rated it 1 star

Tara Chevrestt The idea isn't lame. I am lame for getting so excited over it. I so obviously have no life. Lol

message 18: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill @ Dawn
Can you get Tides of War from your library?
You're more than welcome to join the buddy-read.
I'm sure Misfit would agree.

@ Tara
The more the merrier for the buddy-read, I say.

message 19: by Tara (new) - rated it 1 star

Tara Chevrestt Yea. I can put off starting till after labor day if necessary.

message 20: by Dawn (& Ron) (new) - added it

Dawn (& Ron) That's the way I took it and used it in my post. We are both lame and maybe that's why we understand each other so well, LOL.

Real quick before I sign off, Ron read an FB post where you discovered Montgomery Clift. I had a feeling you would like him. Wait till you see him in 'A Place in the Sun'. I haven't been able to check my emails since I sent my last one to you, I'll talk with you soon about Clift and our favorite (rolls eyes) Mae West.

Good night all! I'm taking the dogs out, and then going to sit back and read and watch Linda Darnell movies.

message 21: by Misfit (new) - added it

Misfit I'm game and can hold off until Friday (three day weekend-woohoo!)

@ Jill this book isn't out until Oct. 25 in the US according to the Amazon page.

message 22: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Oh, so Dawn (or anyone else) can't get it at the library yet. Got it.

So your Labour Day is this weekend? And we'll start after that. Suits me.

message 23: by Misfit (new) - added it

Misfit Yep, this coming weekend (not the current weekend) is our Labor Day. I see we spell if differently too.

No, Dawn wouldn't be able to get from library or purchase.

message 24: by Tara (new) - rated it 1 star

Tara Chevrestt It's a date then. We read this over Labor Day weekend.

message 25: by Misfit (new) - added it

Misfit Sounds like a plan. Anyone have a particular group to have the thread or should I just start it in Sweeping Sagas? Even if it isn't a saga and doesn't sweep I doubt the group owner would toss us :)

message 26: by Tara (new) - rated it 1 star

Tara Chevrestt I would need an invite if you do it in a group as I'm not involved in many anymore. Got tired of all the email notification when half the time the commenter was saying something irrlevant to the the discussion. Pardon my spelling. Only one cup of joe so far.

message 27: by Misfit (new) - added it

Misfit I'll get it going. I wonder if Michele got this one from Vine last week.

message 28: by Dawn (& Ron) (new) - added it

Dawn (& Ron) Jill wrote: "Oh, so Dawn (or anyone else) can't get it at the library yet. Got it."

Misfit wrote: "No, Dawn wouldn't be able to get from library or purchase.

Rubbing salt into the wound for we little (green) peons, I see :~}

message 29: by Misfit (new) - added it

Misfit Sorry about that. Not :)

message 30: by Dawn (& Ron) (new) - added it

Dawn (& Ron) Jill wrote: "@ Dawn
Can you get Tides of War from your library?
You're more than welcome to join the buddy-read.
I'm sure Misfit would agree.

@ Tara
The more the merrier for the buddy-read, I say."

Jill, I didn't see this till now. Thanks for the thought, though.
Yes, I would love to try a buddy read one day and be one of the "lame", as Tara called it, to get so excited over doing one.

Misfit, yeah, I wasn't really feeling the sincerity in that sorry of yours. Once the stinging and burning from the salt heals I may be able to follow some of the posts as all of you read it :~0

message 31: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Okay, picked up my copy from the library this morning.

message 32: by Tara (new) - rated it 1 star

Tara Chevrestt Then do u ladies want to start tomorrow? Should be done with current book tonight.

message 33: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill I don't mind. If it suits Misfit.

message 34: by Misfit (new) - added it

Misfit I can start anytime. I'm still working on the PG book, but that won't be hard to put down. I'll go start a thread.

message 35: by Tara (new) - rated it 1 star

Tara Chevrestt I am at work till 1am so I will have to wait and start tomorrow afternoon. Will try to catch up.

message 36: by Misfit (new) - added it

Misfit I won't start tonight. I'm too tired for a new book and I still have PG to pick on. I sent you an invite to the Sweeping Sagas group and got the threads going. Jill's already a member.

message 37: by Tara (new) - rated it 1 star

Tara Chevrestt K. Will join up when I get on comp. Thanks.

message 38: by Dawn (& Ron) (new) - added it

Dawn (& Ron) What a shame, it seemed to have such promise. Does the POV change from 1st to 3rd or person to person? I find myself referring to Susan's 5 page cast of characters, in Traitor's Wife often but not every page. That would drive me nuts.

message 39: by Misfit (new) - added it

Misfit It did have promise. The POV is all third person, but it jumps from one character and/or setting to the next with dizzying swiftness. You just can't latch onto anyone story before she's on to the next one.

message 40: by Dawn (& Ron) (new) - added it

Dawn (& Ron) Both you and Tara did not finish, that doesn't bode well.

message 41: by Misfit (new) - added it

Misfit No, and neither do the rest of the Vine reviews there offer much encouragement.

message 42: by Claire (last edited Sep 12, 2011 11:41PM) (new)

Claire I thought you were reading the Steven PressField version and thought
"Thats a bit different for Misfit but she will certainly learn a bit more about Spartan and Athenian battles" but it was a different book.
You might have enjoyed it more!!!

Karla (Mossy Love Grotto) Heh, I've love for Misfit to read about the Spartans. That would be an experience, for her and us. :D

message 44: by Misfit (new) - added it

Misfit I probably would have enjoyed it more. It will be interesting to see how the Tillyard fares on this side of the pond. We Yanks aren't all that up to snuff on the Napoleonic wars. Mix in a confusing storyline (or no storyline) and it hits the wall.

Karla (Mossy Love Grotto) I wish there was a preview available so I could decide if I want to bother with this one. :-\

message 46: by Dawn (& Ron) (new) - added it

Dawn (& Ron) I loved Pressfield's Gates of Fire and have his Tides of War in the TBR. Maybe a good Spartan read would be just what Misfit needs, help to clear her mind of the other HF stuff for a bit. Plus there's nothing wrong with enjoying a Spartan now and then :~)

message 47: by Claire (new)

Claire Dawn get reading Tides of War ,it is a bit confusing at times and "harder" than Gates Of Fire but I think it is better. There are certainly
some wonderful Spartans and Athenians. If you can get hold of it put Flowers of Adonis by Rosemary Sutcliffe on your TBR pile. It is a POV that really works.

message 48: by Dawn (& Ron) (new) - added it

Dawn (& Ron) Claire, in what way is Tides of War harder?

This was funny, I did a GR search and put in Rosemary Sutcliffe Flowers, to eliminate having to go through all her titles. It came back with "did you mean hello?", seriously!?! Had to laugh at that. It looks like it is no longer in print which explains why I didn't recognize that title. I added to my TBR wishlist. Thanks for the recommendation.

message 49: by Claire (new)

Claire It was just a slowish start and my knowledge of the Peloponnesian war was nil so it is a huge subject to get up to speed on. Having said that
once I grasped who the main characters were it was very very good, its
is also twice as long as Gates of Fire so a lot more ground is covered.
Just be patient for the scene setting first couple of chapters.