Robyn's Reviews > The Forgotten Beasts of Eld

The Forgotten Beasts of Eld by Patricia A. McKillip

Mar 11, 11

bookshelves: reviewed

Unfortunately, something was missing from this book, and that's a shame, as it had an excellent premise, and some interesting creatures. The writing, however felt very dry, and cold. I never really felt like I was there with Sybel, nor did I ever fully understand her motivations. Much of the plot seems to drag along, and it took me weeks to read, as I kept getting bored with it, and setting it aside. The emotions in this book are muted pastels, you see the shade of the color they mean to be, but they lack vibrancy. This is such a pity, as there is obviously a lot of emotionality in this story, the author talks about themes like love and revenge, but you never really feel them. I wanted to like this book. I loved the mythical cast of creatures in Sybel's care, I enjoyed the mystery of the Blammor, and wondered many times at the Liralin. But I was never really pulled in. A good attempt, but not quite right.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Forgotten Beasts of Eld.