Jennifer's Reviews > Trail of the Spellmans

Trail of the Spellmans by Lisa Lutz

Mar 11, 2011

liked it
Read from February 29 to March 02, 2012

I gave the first 4 books 5-stars but this gets 3-stars. And I'm not only rating this on the incredibly upsetting event. Although that was ridiculously awful! I didn't read four books where I felt like I was climbing Mt. Everest to only barely reach the top in the fifth book and then be thrown off the cliff before I can even take a look around! I was also very disappointed by all the characters. No Henry/Rae scenes. No Henry anything basically! His character was wasted in this installment. There was still some brilliant writing and a lot of LOL moments but I'm just not happy.

I'm pretending this was the end! I loved the ending to the last book!

“We knew we were doomed. The kiss was a warm acceptance of years of bickering, years of me consuming foods that I found barely edible and Henry tidying up after someone who already thought she had tidied up. When I kissed Henry I wasn't imagining Ex-boyfriend #13; I was picturing Husband #1."

description

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Trail of the Spellmans.

02/29/2012 page 1
0.0% "YAY! LOVE THIS SERIES! It came yesterday but darn family didn't tell me! Izzy & Henry!" 1 comment
02/29/2012 page 43
11.0% "Maggie was pulling into the driveway when I arrived. As w converged at the front door, my sister-in-law put a hundred-dollar bill in my palm. "What's this for?" I asked. "Drinking money," Maggie replied. "I'll need another fifty for David." LMAO!!"
02/29/2012 page 52
14.0% "Gertrude: So do you see wedding bells in your future? Henry: I can't imagine Izzy approving of any ceremony involving bells."
02/29/2012 page 225
59.0% "UGH! 2 years wait and now I wish I hadn't even read this! I'm so upset! This is usually the series that puts me in a good mood so of course something crappy had to happen."
02/29/2012 page 300
78.0% ":-("
05/03/2016 marked as: read

Comments (showing 1-26)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Laura I've got my copy pre-ordered too. A few more days and we finally get to read it!

message 25: by Van (new)

Van (Short & Sweet Reviews) aww is it that bad? I'm also waiting for my copy to arrive!

Jennifer van wrote: "aww is it that bad? I'm also waiting for my copy to arrive!"

Yeah I think many fans will be disappointed with the way it went. :-(

Julia Taylor When the principle parties sat down together at Rae's birthday party, I "knew" that the situation would be fixed. I was all excited only to have my hopes dashed. I stayed up half the night to finish the book, and now I'm too sad to go to sleep.

Jennifer Julia wrote: "When the principle parties sat down together at Rae's birthday party, I "knew" that the situation would be fixed. I was all excited only to have my hopes dashed. I stayed up half the night to finis..."

Same here! I couldn't eat dinner or lunch the next day. I was seriously that upset and angry! Four books for the fifth book to just end like that!!!!!!!! What a waste! I was looking forward to so much more. 2 years wait and now I just want to pretend it ended with book 4.

Muriel I'm afraid to continue now :(

Jennifer Spaceyplum wrote: "I'm afraid to continue now :("

yup good luck! Have tissues and try to keep anything breakable away.

message 19: by Nanci (new) - added it

Nanci Booher Oh great...I'm on page 40...do I dare continue???

Muriel Oh boy, I need to mentally prepare for this... gonna have to take a break for now :( I love this series so much that I can't bear to be heartbroken.

Jennifer Spaceyplum wrote: "Oh boy, I need to mentally prepare for this... gonna have to take a break for now :( I love this series so much that I can't bear to be heartbroken."

I know same here. After all the dedication and love I have had for this series, I hate that I had my heartbroken.

message 16: by holedupinmyroom (new)

holedupinmyroom bb oh goodness? what happend? just spill

Jennifer holedupinmyroom wrote: "oh goodness? what happend? just spill"

haha well lots of stuff but the most upsetting for me was of course (view spoiler)

Jennifer I've been discussing it in detail in this thread http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/8... but I don't want to spoil it for those that don't want spoilers

Jennifer M I actually liked this book. I have read all the Spellman Files. I think it ended like it should. I don't think izzy is the settling down type so that part while a little sad wasn't unexpected. I'm ready for the next installment.

message 12: by Jennifer (last edited Mar 14, 2012 07:20PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jennifer After all they went through to accept each other for all their flaws I was just majorly disappointed. I assumed they wouldn't be having kids anyway so didn't understand why that had to be brought up. Don't remember him mentioning kids before. I wish I could have liked this but Henry was one of my favorite characters and his scenes lacked in this book. I missed him teamed up with Rae and Izzy and the other Spellmans.

Kelley I loved this book but like the rest of you I was heart broken that it was fixed at the end. There was a line that I just knew the next words would make it okay. The line was when they were looking at Bernie and Henry's mom and Izzy said Wow if they can make it work. Sniff Sniff

Jennifer Next Spellman will be 2014, likely. But she's commited to Doc #6 and #7 not that I'm holding my breath. She states she has a plan but maybe not one anyone will like. lol no kidding I hate the plan!

message 9: by Dänica (new) - added it

Dänica I came here thinking, "Wait, I thought the series was complete after book 4...". Glad to know it was (in my eyes). I don't think I want to read this one based on what I've read here. Sad! I loved this series and even got a friend hooked. Total bummer.

Janna Didn't she say she might want kids later? There's still a chance for them to be together.

message 7: by Jessica-Robyn (new)

Jessica-Robyn Hey look! "The Last Word: A Spellman Novel (The Spellmans #6)" expected publication 2013 is up on GR with a description. Do you think you'll read it?

Jennifer Jessica-Robyn wrote: "Hey look! "The Last Word: A Spellman Novel (The Spellmans #6)" expected publication 2013 is up on GR with a description. Do you think you'll read it?"

I'm going to read spoilers first. If Henry gets married to someone else and has kids without Izzy I'm out! I'll pretend it ended with book 4.

message 5: by Jessica-Robyn (last edited Dec 21, 2012 05:16PM) (new)

Jessica-Robyn Jennifer wrote: "Jessica-Robyn wrote: "Hey look! "The Last Word: A Spellman Novel (The Spellmans #6)" expected publication 2013 is up on GR with a description. Do you think you'll read it?"

I'm going to read spoil..."

That sounds like a plan! I'm in the same boat where I don't even want to read book five till I know that the continuing series is worth it. Despite it being called "The Last Word", the description doesn't seem to indicate it's the final book of the series. It'll be interesting to at least keep up with new developments. I also don't mind spoilers, so if you find something good on the book six let me know!

message 4: by Jennifer (last edited Dec 22, 2012 08:37PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jennifer Jessica-Robyn wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "Jessica-Robyn wrote: "Hey look! "The Last Word: A Spellman Novel (The Spellmans #6)" expected publication 2013 is up on GR with a description. Do you think you'll read it?"

I'm go..."

Yeah if I'm unsure about a book or series I like spoilers. Doesn't really ruin anything for me. It is weird that it is called The Last Word because I know there is for sure going to be at least one more book after it or at least that was what she said on facebook. Things can change so you never know.

message 3: by Pat (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pat C. I realize I'm REALLY late with this comment but I just picked up the last two "Spellman Files". My comment is that Karin Slaughter did something similar with her series and had readers totally ticked off - like making death threats! No just kidding. But people were threatening to never touch another book by her. I was shocked by the turn of (fictional) events but not quite as invested as some of these other readers so I kept reading her novels as they were faithfully published each year and I have to say that her dramatic move actually improved the series - breath of fresh air and all that. So I'm just here to tell you all is not lost :-). You never know what these creative types have up their sleeve.

Xochilt I felt really empty after this. Like, I couldn't not be sad. It was heartbreaking.

Laura I'm really late to this, but I am also so upset with this series after this book. It's like she decided to add some YA romance will they-won't they to the middle of an established series to an almost 50yo man. The I want kids idea is such crap. I'm going to library to pick #6 tomorrow but based on the spoilers I may not like it.