Patricia BookExhibitionism's Reviews > The Reckoning

The Reckoning by Kelley Armstrong

My rating:  [image error] [image error] [image error] [image error] [image error]

Review

May I say that these sweet little almost-scenes got me into my squeeling-mode? Thanks, Mrs. Armstrong. ;)

As The Awakening did, The Reckoning continues where The Awakening left us wondering. It's again a very quick, intense and wonderfull read. In fact I think this series might be one of my all-time-favorites.

We had one gun, one werewolf, one poltergeist, one supercharged spell-caster, one not-so-supercharged spell-caster, and one perfectly useless necromancer (..)

As the story progresses, Chloe has to admit to herself what she's feeling and I loved that part. The plot was so intense, it left my gasping at times. I really couldn't lay the book down.

Usually I hate how everyone just focusses on the romance-part, but I have to say it: I loved the sweet casual touches and conversations, because they were like.. a proof of a profound trust. Oh yes..

"And now we can't," I said. "Which sucks, but the main thing is that your dad's alive."
He smiled, hesitant at first, then a blazing grin broke through that made my heart stop. I recovered and grinned back and went to throw my arms around his neck, then stopped, blushing. Before I could pull back, he caught my elbows and put my arms around his neck and pulled me into a hug.

It's hard to say goodbye to all of them, but I hope we'll see them again in the Spin-Off, The Gathering, or one of it's sequels. Not only because I love Chloe, Simon, Derek and Tori, but also because some questions weren't answered – Even if, to me, everything important has been answered, I can't help myself but wonder about everyone and what's happening in their future.

Something like..

A wonderful novel. I will definitely revisit the gang. ♥

"So I was right, wasn't I? It's still you, even in wolf form." He grunted.
"No sudden uncontrollable urges to go kill something?" He rolled his eyes.
"Hey, you're the one who was worried." I paused. "And I don't smell like dinner, right?" I got a real look for that one. "Just covering all the bases."

German cover:

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Reckoning.

Quotes Patricia Liked

Kelley Armstrong
“So I was right, wasn't I? It's still you, even in wolf form.'
He grunted.
No sudden uncontrollable urges to go kill something?'
He rolled his eyes.
Hey, you're the one who was worried.' I paused. 'And I don't smell like dinner, right?'
I got a real look for that one.
Just covering all the bases.”

Kelley Armstrong
“You were just worried about me."
An exhale, relieved that I had understood. "Yeah"
I turned. "Because you think I'm worth it"
He put his fingers under my chin. "I absolutely think your worth it."
"But you don't think you are."
His mouth opened. Shut.
"That's what this is about, Derek. You won't let us worry about you because you don't think you're worth it. But I do. I absolutely do.”

Kelley Armstrong
“And now we can't," I said. "Which sucks, but the main thing is that your dad's alive."
Then he jumped, chair swiveling so fast I nearly went flying. I heard footsteps in the hall and I scrambled off his lap just as Simon swung in, breathing heavily, like he'd come running.”

Kelley Armstrong
“Screw caution," Tori said. "I'm outta here." We looked at her. "Well, I am. As long as someone comes with me." We kept looking at her. She sighed. "Fine, but when everything goes to hell, just remember, I get to blame you guys, because I wanted to leave right away.”

Kelley Armstrong
“We had one gun, one werewolf, one poltergeist, one supercharged spell-caster, one not-so-supercharged spell-caster, and one perfectly useless necromancer, though Liz was quick to remind me that she needed me to relay her words. - Chloe”

Kelley Armstrong
“Derek's change came faster now and maybe a bit easier--no vomiting this time. Finally it was over, and he fell onto his side, panting, shaking, and shivering. Then he reached for my hand, holding it tight, and I entwined my fingers with his, shifting closer and using my free hand to brush sweaty hair from his face.
"Whoa," a voice said, making both of us jump. Simon stood in the entrance to our corner, a pile of fabric in his hands. "You really need to get dressed before you start that."
"I'm not starting anything," Derek said.
"Still..." He held out the stack in his hands. "Dr. Fellows dug up some hospital greens for you. Get dressed and then... whatever”

Kelley Armstrong
“So," Simon said. "Looks like you and Derek are getting along again. What happened? Did he give you the look?"
"Look?"
"You know. The one that makes him look like a whipped puppy, and makes you feel like a jerk for doing the whipping."
"Ah, that one. So it works on you, too?"
He snorted. "It even works on Dad. We give in, we tell him it's okay, and the next thing you know, he's chewing up slippers again."
I laughed.”

Kelley Armstrong
“They found me at the kitchen table. Derek said, "There's something we need to tell you," and from the look on Andrew's face, I think he expected Derek to say he'd gotten me pregnant.”

Kelley Armstrong
“Finally, he pushed back the chair and exhaled.
"He's alive," I said. "Your dad's alive."
He loooked up at me and, I couldn't help it-- I threw my arms around his neck and hugged him. Then I realized what I was doing. I let go, backing away, tripping over my feet, stammering. "I-I'm sorry. I'm just--I'm happy for you."
"I know."
Still sitting, he reached out and pulled me toward him. We stayed there, looking at each other, his hand still wrapped around my shirt hem, my heart hammering so hard I wash sure he could hear it.
"There's more," I said after a few seconds. "More emails, Tori said."
He nodded and swiveled back to the computer, making room for me. When I inched closer, not wanting to intrude, he tugged me in front of him and I stumbled, half falling onto his lap. I tried to scramble up, cheeks burning, but he pulled me down onto his knee, one arm going around my waist, tentative, as if to say Is this okay? It was, even if my blood pounded in my ears so hard I couldn't think.”

Kelley Armstrong
“Derek lunged. He hit me in the shoulder and knocked me to the floor, landing on top of me. His body jerked, like he'd been hit with the spell, and I let out a yelp, struggling to get up, but he held me down, whispering "I'm okay, it's okay" until the words penetrated.”

Kelley Armstrong
“He turned my way, and I was so engrossed in my thoughts that I didn't notice for a second. Then I realized I was staring at him, and looked away fast, cheeks flaming. I could feel him looking at me. Frowning slightly, like he was trying to figure something out. Before he could, I gulped my warm water and said, "Must be almost lunchtime," which was a stupid thing to say, but all I could think of. It took him a moment before he answered, shrugging and saying, "Maybe." Then, " You okay?"
I nodded.
"You want to talk about what happened downstairs? With Banks?"
I nodded again.
"I should get Simon," he said. "He'll want to know."
Another nod, but he didn't move, just watched me as I kept sipping the warm water.
"Chloe."
I took my time looking up, certain he'd figured out what I'd been thinking and was about to let me down gently. He wouldn't say, " Sorry, I'm not interested, " because that wouldn't be Derek- too presumptious- but he'd find some way to convey the same message, as I had with Simon. I like you. I just don't like you that way.
"Chloe?"
I looked up than, and what I saw in his eyes-- my hands fumbled the glass, and I dropped it, water spalashing over me, soaking my jeans. I scrambled to catch that glass before it hit the floor, barely making it, on one knee, prize gripped firmly in my hand. And I was still there when I felt the glass being tugged from my fingers. I looked up to see Derek crouching in front of me, his face inches from mine. He leaned forward and--
"What'd you lose?"
Simon's voice came from the doorway, and we shot to our feet so fast we collided.”

Kelley Armstrong
“Tori swiveled in her seat as we came in.
"There are more," she said. "He sent one every couple of weeks. The last one was only a few days ago."
"Good," I said. "Would you mind keeping and eye on Andrew?"
"Sure." She took off.
"Wait." I grabbed Derek's sleeve as he headed for the chair Tori had vacated. I wanted to say something. I didn't know what. But there was no way to tell him that wouldn't be much of a shock, so I ended up stupidly murmuring, "Never mind."
When he read what was on the screen, he went absolutely still, like he wasn't even breathing. After a few seconds, he yanked the laptop closer, leaning in to read it again. And again. Finally, he pushed back the chair and exhaled.
"He's alive," I said. "You're dad's alive."
He looked up at me and, I couldn't help it- I threw my arms around his neck and hugged him. Then I realized what I was doing. I let go, backing away, tripping over my feet, stammering, "I-I'm sorry. I'm just- I'm happy for you."
"I know."
Still sitting, he reached out and pulled me toward him. We stayed there, looking at each other, his hand still wrapped in my shirt hem, my heart hammering so hard I was sure he could hear it.
"There's more," I said after a few seconds. "More emails, Tori said."
He nodded and swiveled back to the computer, making room for me. When I inched closer, not wanting to intrude, he tugged me in front of him and I stumbled, half falling onto his lap. I tried to scramble up, cheeks burning, but he pulled me down onto his knee, one arm going around my waist, tentative, as if to say Is this okay? It was, even if my blood pounded in my ears so hard I couldn't think. Thankfully, I had my back to him because I was sure my cheeks were scarlet.”

Kelley Armstrong
“You're crying?" he said.
"No, I- " I tore my gaze away. "Just dust. From the path. Simon's that way."
I tried to pass him, but he stooped, trying to get a loom of my face. When I wouldn't let him, he caught my chin. I jerked back, flinching at his touch, heart thudding at it, too.
I told myself Simon was wrong. I'd never be dumb enough to fall for Derek. But I had. With him so close, my stomach kept doing weird flips. It wasn't fear. It hadn't been fear for awhile.
"You have been crying," he said, voice softer.”

Kelley Armstrong
“I had a stupid crush on a guy who barely tolerated me most of the time. Was that the kind of girl I was? Pick the jerk over the nice guy?”

Kelley Armstrong
“One second he was in my face, making me feel stupid and useless. The next he was like this: hovering, concerned, worried.”

Kelley Armstrong
“I screwed up. Again. You're shocked, I'm sure.”

Comments (showing 1-3)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Jill I agree <3 Derek is so awesome :D I didn't like him at first and he can be pretty patronizing, but I think that's part of his charm :D

Patricia BookExhibitionism jibar wrote: "I agree <3 Derek is so awesome :D I didn't like him at first and he can be pretty patronizing, but I think that's part of his charm :D"

(view spoiler)

He is, when it comes to that, very unique. Reminds me a little of Clay, though. Both of them are very intelligent, have different priorities and care about few people (but they care deeply). Then, again, Clay has some character traits that could be described as.. psychotic. *laughs* So this is where the similarities end XD

Are you going to read The Gathering anytime soon? I'm not sure about it, because the fifth book isn't going to be released until 2012 and the 6th book even later.. *sigh*

Jill (view spoiler)

Clay is ... who? He reminds me of Dimitri Belikov actually xD I kept thinking: Gee he's so much like Dimitri!

Not anytime soon I think. I have it (;D) but I don't think I'll get to it soon. I have so much to read, so I'm just going to wait until the fifth book is out so I can just keep reading, you know?