Emma's Reviews > The Memory of Earth

The Memory of Earth by Orson Scott Card

Mar 11, 2011

bookshelves: science-fiction, 20th-century, fiction
Read in February, 2011

I really enjoyed reading this book. I liked the descriptions of the cultural and political systems used in the setting as they are very different from any other kind I have known of. I have also gotten to like many of the characters, and even some of their strange names, though a few of them still bother me (such as "Luet").

The only reason that I gave this book four stars rather than five is that I would have liked for it to surprise me a bit more. Being very familiar with the story that it is based on (the first few chapters of the Book of Mormon), I knew what to expect every time. That made it interesting for a little while ("How is he going to incorporate this detail?"), but then I was disappointed that most of the suspense was lost. I always prefer to discover a story as I read it, and I wasn't able to do that to the degree that I wish I could. I would rather that, instead of simply being a retelling of parts of the Book of Mormon in a science-fiction setting, it took some main themes from the original story and incorporated them into a new story.

Despite that setback, I liked this book a lot and would have other people read it, and will be looking for its sequels next time I'm in a bookstore that has a higher likelihood of carrying more of Orson Scott Card's books that just his most famous ones.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Memory of Earth.