Melinda Elizabeth's Reviews > Tokyo Vice: An American Reporter on the Police Beat in Japan

Tokyo Vice by Jake Adelstein

Mar 11, 11

Read in March, 2011

This book left me feeling kinda angry. It started off as a frivolous read about a foreign country with strange practices (the used underwear vending machines! hilarious!) but the more I read, the less I liked Jake. His ambiguity and "information whorishness" really went above and beyond what a normal person would consider reasonable. But perhaps I'm saying that because I'm not a journalist. Maybe they are all like Jake. If so, maybe I don't have much respect for the media in general in that case.

How anyone can put the lust of a story before the lives of people they care about astounds me. And as I said, I went into this thinking, oh, its kinda funny, but by the end I was shocked. I felt sick. I don't want to be too spoilerish, but wow, just when you think Jake couldn't get any lower, he surprises us!

Kudos on being a strange, morally ambiguous man. I find it ironic that you're judging Goto when you yourself, as one of your "sources" pointed out, is not that different from Goto himself.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tokyo Vice.