Steph Sinclair's Reviews > Shadowspell

Shadowspell by Jenna Black

May 10, 11

bookshelves: 2011-reads, could-have-been-better, guilty-pleasures, fey, young-adult, st-martins-press
Recommended for: Bored people who need a good laugh
Read from March 22 to 25, 2011, read count: 1

Ok, so let me start by saying this series to me is a bit strange. And because of that, you often have to just accept what Jenna Black tells you about this world, no matter how weird or odd it is. Kinda like how Stephenie Meyer told us all to accept the fact that Bella did not want to marry Edward, but she still was willing to give up immortality and be with him forever. Makes zero sense, right? But you, the reader, are just supposed to accept it, otherwise, stop reading.

On to the review:

We find Dana, our protagonist, still on lockdown from her Fey dad in Avalon. She apparently is not talking to Ethan, yet the book begins with her on a date with him at the movies, no less! So I'm thinking, "Why is she even talking to this scrub?! After everything he did to her in Glimmerglass." I quickly realized this was a "just accept it" moment. So, throughout the book, in which Dana does a number of reckless things, almost every guy she encounters is "so hot, with long hair." She is forever getting lost in every males eyes. It's quite annoying. It seems, that is the only way Dana knows how to describe anyone in the book. Either that or Jenna Black considers her readers vain. Dana also has almost zero sense of self-preservation. In ShawdowSpell the Wild Hunt comes into town lead by the Erlking. Now let's pause and look talk about him a minute. For some odd reason I seem get a picture of Fabio Lanzoni every time I think of this dude.

Photobucket
Yup, that's my Erlking

Now her dad tells her that because the Erlking is present in Avalon, it is a huge security problem for her considering even the Queens of Fairy fear him. Yet, what does Dana do? She sneaks out to go to a birthday party! Now I know everyone has different priorities, those of which may differ greatly from mine. Different strokes for different folks. But c'mon! A birthday party is worth risking your life?! Once again, "just accept it." YE BE WARNED: HERE THERE BE SERIOUS SPOILERS So when Ethan is taken by the Erlking and Dana bargains her virginity for his release, I was blown. Ummm, what?! Really, Jenna?! Please don't tell me this is going to be a series revolving around sex. So, Dana agrees and just promises herself she will never do it. So let me guess, the next books plot : To do it or not to do it? Wait, wait, wait. Let's back up for a minute and pause. Why did she even agree to that? I thought she didn't even like Ethan? "Just accept it." This deal went from bad to worse, because of course the Fey have the wonderful gift of lying by omission. I guess Dana didn't think it necessary to find out all the terms of the deal before she agreed. "Just accept it." At this point, it's getting harder and harder to "just accept it."  By the end of the book Dana finds herself between a rock and a hard place. She has decided she does like Ethan after all and does what him as her boyfriend. However, since Ethan is such a playboy, Dana wonders how she could ever keep him, knowing she can not have sex with him, unless she gives herself to the Erlking first. And of course, giving the Erlking what he wants endangers the entire world, Fey and mortals. So yup, you guessed it, the fate of the world resides on the chastity of a teenage girl. O.O Wow. That is a pretty big pill to swallow.

Fear not young padawans! I did somehow find something I liked about the book. Jenna Black does write entertaining, witty dialog. I'll give her that. It was pretty funny at times. But all in all, if I had to describe Shadowspell in a few sentences I would say: it's like a train wreck I can't turn my head away from.

It's not the prettiest thing to watch, but I can't help but to keep looking because I wanna know what happens next. With that said, I will probably read the next book in the series. I know, I know. It makes no sense. You're right. But, "just accept it."

More reviews and more at Cuddlebuggery Book Blog.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadowspell.

03/23/2011 page 27
9.0% "Don't you hate it when the main character seems like they are begging to get themselves in trouble and/or killed?! *headdesk*"
03/24/2011 page 85
29.0% "Ahhh! Dana is so irritating!!!!"
03/24/2011 page 187
63.0% "Ummm? What?! This book has gotten ridiculous."
03/25/2011 page 254
86.0% "Wow. There are a lot of unsettling revelations in this book!"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker Great review, as you already commented on my review, we definitely feel the same way about the book!

LethalLovely~Let Me Hold Both Your Hands in the Holes of My Sweater It seems as though (& I might be wrong here) Dana is even more dumbass than she was in Glimmerglass. That's a lot dumbass for one little girl to carry inside of her. Good thing I restrained myself from adding book #2 to my TBR. Sometimes my masochism gets the best of me.

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker LethalLovely~I Am Yours If You Are Mine wrote: "It seems as though (& I might be wrong here) Dana is even more dumbass than she was in Glimmerglass. That's a lot dumbass for one little girl to carry inside of her. Good thing I res..."

Lethal- you are exactly right, she is a dumbass. The main female lead character is supposed to grow, and learn, and become smarter, not Dana! Thus, she is a dumbass.

Steph Sinclair Thanks Michelle! I'm glad I wasn't the only one who noticed that issue with the sex.

@Lethal: As you can see, I filed this one on my "Mindless Entertainment" shelf. I save the especially bad books (CoFA, Hush, Hush, ect.) for my "If I'm Feeling Masochistic" shelf.

But you are right, Dana was especially dumb in this book.

Steph Sinclair Michelle wrote: "LethalLovely~I Am Yours If You Are Mine wrote: "It seems as though (& I might be wrong here) Dana is even more dumbass than she was in Glimmerglass. That's a lot dumbass for one litt..."

Character regression at it's finest. I really thought she was going to wise up at the end of Glimmerglass.

LethalLovely~Let Me Hold Both Your Hands in the Holes of My Sweater IIRC, the heroine in The Devil Inside was dumbass as well. Dumbass & horny. And a bit of a homophobe/hater of BDSM. At least I know I will never be surprised when I open a Black novel. "Kids are stupid & the way to a woman's heart is through her vagina! You want proof? Read my books!"

LethalLovely~Let Me Hold Both Your Hands in the Holes of My Sweater BTW, checked out your "mindless entertainment" shelf, Stephanie. I concur...except for maybe "Breaking Dawn." The mutant baby was kind of cool. Like the movie "Alien" with glitter.

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker LethalLovely~I Am Yours If You Are Mine wrote: "IIRC, the heroine in The Devil Inside was dumbass as well. Dumbass & horny. And a bit of a homophobe/hater of BDSM. At least I know I will never be surprised when I open a Black novel..."

LMAO..you make me laugh lethal!

Steph Sinclair Lethal, you are too funny!

I actually was ok with the first half of BD, but the second half was soooo boring to me. Lol.

Lol, Alien with glitter. Oh, you. Lol.

Tammie I love your review, very funny! And you said all the things I would have said if I was good at putting my thoughts into words.

Steph Sinclair Thank you! ^_^

Bemused Bookworm Hahahahaha omg funny!! This sounds funny... Your pictures are funny!!

Anna (Unquenchable Reads) I love your review! I agree with you about the book