Steph Sinclair's Reviews > Crossed

Crossed by Ally Condie

Dec 05, 11

bookshelves: dystopian, 2011-reads, alternating-povs, could-have-been-better, disappointment, ebook, glad-it-s-over, poor-world-building, triangle-of-love, young-adult
Recommended to Steph by: Myself
Recommended for: Strong fans of Matched
Read from November 28 to December 03, 2011, read count: 1

Psst...Stephanie. Wake up, it's over.

Oh, man. Did I fall asleep again? It's not my fault. Really, it isn't. If only Crossed had just a little bit more action and a lot less poetry, it would have been able to keep my attention focused on reading the book instead of hitting my REM cycle. That's not to say I didn't entirely enjoy Crossed, but it also didn't live up to my expectations.

Crossed picks up where Matched left off. Ky had been sent away to the Outer Provinces and Cassia is currently residing in a girl's work camp. In this installment she travels to the Outer Provinces to find Ky, while he somehow escapes the Outer Provinces to be reunited with Cassia back in the Society. A few new discoveries are made regarding the Society and an apparent rebellion called the Rising. Along the way, enough poetry to give Maya Angelou a headache is recited and flashbacks to Ky's past are also included.

I had high hopes for this book mostly because I did enjoy Matched. I enjoyed the "Do not go gently" theme and Condie's poetic writing style. But for some reason it just didn't work out too well for me in Crossed. I liked how the PoVs switched back and forth between Ky and Cassia. In fact, I am a fan of that particular style, when done correctly. However, in this case I found it difficult to tell who was who. Cassia and Ky's voice sounded exactly alike to me. I found myself flipping back to the beginning of the chapters to confirm who was narrating. Because of this I slowly felt myself becoming disconnected from the characters even with learning further details about Ky's past.

The Characters:
One thing I did enjoy about the book were the introduction of the minor characters. While traveling to the Outer Provinces to find Ky, Cassia teams up with a girl named Indie. At first I really liked Indie because she was brave, sharp, and determined. But around 77% of the book she seemed too sneaky to me and I didn't appreciate her lying to Cassia about the Rising. At one point she even (view spoiler) She also steals from Cassia and Cassia has the nerve to ask, "What else has she been hiding? Does she even think we are friends?" Umm...Cassia? Someone who steals and lies is not a friend. I do think she created an interesting dynamic to the story, but I'm not entirely sure I liked her as a character.

Ky also travels with two other companions: a boy named Eli who reminds him of Bram (Cassia's younger brother) and Vick. I actually liked both of those new characters very much. In fact, they were my saving grace for this book. To me they seemed to be the only two characters that actually expressed realistic reactions to things. Eli asks questions that should be asked and Vick gets angry when everyone else is maintaining unrealistic calmed facade. I didn't like how Condie (view spoiler). I felt she did that to attempt a realistic reunion for Cassia and Ky. I didn't buy that for one minute because it seemed very deliberate on Condie's part and forced.

Cassia and Ky irritated me to no end, especially Ky. He knew about the Rising since Matched and never told Cassia. I was willing to accept that until he continued to try and hide his knowledge after their reunion. He was extremely selfish in this book. Not only that, but his explanation as to why he didn't want to join the Rising didn't make much sense to me and it ultimately almost breaks them up. After they have traveled all that time endangering their lives, they almost throw it completely away. Unbelievable. Cassia is no better because she waits until the last possible moment to confront Indie and Ky. Great. Just great. Another complacent heroine.

Condie does manage to keep Xander in the picture despite his small page time. Both Cassia and Ky think of him often and have flashbacks involving him. And it also appears that a love-square may be forming. Yes, feel free to >insert eye rolling here<.

The Prose:
There are a few quotes that I really loved in Crossed. Like this one:
Everyone has something of beauty about them. In the beginning for me, it was Ky’s eyes I noticed, and I love them still. But loving lets you look, and look, and look again. You notice the back of a hand, the turn of a head, the way of a walk. When you first love, you look blind and you see it all as the glorious, beloved whole, or a beautiful sum of beautiful parts. But when you see the one you love as pieces, as whys—why he walks like this, why he closes his eyes like that—you can love those parts, too, and it’s a love at once more complicated and more complete.
I think Condie is gifted with writing some truly beautiful passages. However, when the entire book is filled with your characters sitting on rocks reciting poetry every few pages, my patience tends to fly out the window. One minute I'm reading Crossed and the next minute I'm:

A) Falling asleep

Or

B) Getting distracted by squirrels

I'm not even sure where the climax was because I was just that bored with the plot, characters, everything. It was like watching the Peanut gang's parents go, "Blah, blah, blah, blah." LOL. Maybe I fell asleep at that part. It really wouldn't surprise me if that were the case.

The World Building:
I was hoping to see more world building in this installment, but I was once again left with many unanswered questions. Who runs the Society? How are these rebels slipping in and out of the Society if the Society has such a strict eye on things? Who put Ky's name into the Matching pool? Where are all the Provinces located? Several are mentioned in the book, but I have no idea where they are located. I feel this series could really use a world map. Speaking of the world, is the Society located over the entire world? The way it is described seems like it's only in one part of the world. What in the world is the Warming? It's mentioned in Crossed, but it's not really explained well. Are there no gay society members? So many questions, so little time, and so little fucks of mine to give. I hope these questions will be answered in final book, but at this point I won't hold my breath.

I'd recommend this book to strong supporters and fans of Matched. If you felt Matched was just an "ok" read for you, chances are you will be disappointed with its sequel Crossed.

Poetry inspired by Crossed!

Roses are red
Violets are blue
This book may bore you
And put your ass to sleep too!

More reviews and more at Cuddlebuggery Book Blog.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crossed.

11/30/2011
16.0% "Are we actually going to find out who runs the Society and who "the enemy" is in this book? I hope so."
12/01/2011
40.0% "Ugh. Kill me now. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos" 2 comments
12/01/2011
60.0% "Wait...did they just have sex? Why does everything have to be so cryptic!!" 5 comments
12/02/2011
67.0% "Cassia sounds like Ky. Ky sounds like Cassia. Smh."
12/02/2011
71.0% "I find it very selfish that Ky won't tell Cassia what he knows about the Rising." 2 comments
12/03/2011
80.0% "What?! Ky you are a selfish idiot!"
12/03/2011
82.0% "Okay, that's just dumb. It seems like the author is grasping for a reason to keep Ky and Cassia apart."
12/03/2011
85.0% "I feel myself getting rediculously angry at this book. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos" 5 comments
12/03/2011
90.0% "Oh, great. Another poem. I'm just gonna lay my head down for a bit. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos" 8 comments

Laurel I am excited for your review. :)

Steph Sinclair It was a disappointment. I actually enjoyed Matched, but Crossed...not so much.

Hayden Casey I don't know where the climax is, either! Your reviews are amazing.

Steph Sinclair Hayden wrote: "I don't know where the climax is, either! Your reviews are amazing."

I really don't think it existed. LOL. And thank you for the compliment!

message 5: by Rogier (new)

Rogier Your reviews are amazing.thumbs up

Steph Sinclair Thank you, Rogier!

message 7: by Karen (new) - added it

Karen Awesome review, Steph! To be honest I'm not a fan of the first book, so I doubt I'll be reading the second one (even though it's sitting on my bookshelf as we speak). I might read it for the lulz though...

message 8: by jo (new)

jo mo omfg! what a jackass! (the guy/girl nudging the sleeping girl. LET HER SLEEP, FOR CHRISSAKE!)

Steph Sinclair Thank you, Karen! Yeah...you'd probably hate this one since you didn't like the first one.

sunset shimmer I actually really agree with you. :/ I was expecting more action.

message 11: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Great review....is it wrong that I am obsessed with watching the girl hit her forehead over and over?

Hayden Casey Stephanie wrote: "Great review....is it wrong that I am obsessed with watching the girl hit her forehead over and over?"

I couldn't agree with you more, Other Stephanie! I sat there for about two minutes before I realized it.

message 13: by rameau (new)

rameau Matched bored me, but at least this review didn't. I've abandoned the series.

Lexie Very good review. I agree with pretty much everything you mentioned. (view spoiler) was far too abrupt and unrealistic, the characters were frustrating, the plot was slow, and the world-building is almost non-existent.

I have mixed feelings about Condie's writing. On the one hand, there are some really beautiful passages like the one you quoted above. But she constantly has her characters "suddenly remembering" something so they can make some big, deep metaphor, and I feel like a) People just do not think that deeply most of the time and b) It just seems like she's trying too hard. She has the talent, I think she just needs to know when to use it and when to let it be.

Here's hoping the third one will be spectacular and explain all those questions that haven't been answered.

Reynje Great review! (view spoiler)

I could not agree more with everything you said. Love the poem too :D

message 16: by Steph (last edited Dec 04, 2011 01:10PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Steph Sinclair Jordyn{readingmonster} wrote: "Love the lil poem at the end! :P"

Thanks, Jordyn! I thought it was very timely. Lol.

ƒαυzαи ♫ | Wild Heart ♥ wrote: "I actually really agree with you. :/ I was expecting more action."

I know! Every time I thought something exciting was going to happen, Cassia or Ky chose that moment for some god-awful monologue. SMH.

I don't think it's even possible to see that GIF too many times. Lol.

rameau wrote: "Matched bored me, but at least this review didn't. I've abandoned the series."

Thanks, Rameau! I'm glad you received some sort of entertainment from this series, albeit indirectly. ;)

Lexie wrote: "Very good review. I agree with pretty much everything you mentioned. [spoilers removed] was far too abrupt and unrealistic, the characters were frustrating, the plot was slow, and the world-buildi..."

Exactly! I think she tried a little too hard too. I feel that (view spoiler) And I didn't mention this in my review, but I don't understand the whole "sorting" thing. All it sounds like is deductive reasoning. Am I to assume only Cassia and a few other Society member possess that skill?

Angie I love your review... the images aren't showing up though!

Angie I also just started following your blog!

message 19: by Steph (last edited Dec 04, 2011 12:41PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Steph Sinclair Reynje wrote: "Great review! [spoilers removed]

I could not agree more with everything you said. Love the poem too :D"

Doesn't it seem like it's a complete love-triangle cop-out for (view spoiler) *extreme eye roll*

Steph Sinclair Angie wrote: "I love your review... the images aren't showing up though!"

Thanks for following! :)

Angie I see them now. I had to click on your review instead of viewing it on my wall. For some reason the images don't come through in that view.

message 22: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Stephanie wrote: "Angie wrote: "I love your review... the images aren't showing up though!"

Hmm...really? I can see them perfectly. Anyone else having that issue?

Thanks for following! :)"

Again......over and over and over......she must have a killer headache.

message 23: by Lexie (last edited Dec 04, 2011 12:57PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lexie Stephanie wrote: "Exactly! I think she tried a little too hard too. I feel that (view spoiler) And I didn't mention this in my review, but I don't understand the whole . . .

I agree. (view spoiler) And I don't understand the whole concept of sorting, either. I mean, with the sorting people, all you're doing is observing them, essentially, and with numbers and data . . . for one, I don't even fully understand how she spent hours "sorting/grouping" numbers as a job, but I agree, it seems like something that a lot of people would be capable of. The sorting is just another aspect of Condie's world that she hasn't really explained.

message 24: by Steph (last edited Dec 04, 2011 01:17PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Steph Sinclair Angie wrote: "I see them now. I had to click on your review instead of viewing it on my wall. For some reason the images don't come through in that view."

Oh, ok. Awesome!

Stephanie wrote: "Stephanie wrote: "Angie wrote: "I love your review... the images aren't showing up though!"

Hmm...really? I can see them perfectly. Anyone else having that issue?

Thanks for following! :)"

Again..."

I know! Look at the way her head collides with that book. It's the ultimate unintentional *headdesk*. Lol.

Lexie wrote: "Stephanie wrote: "Exactly! I think she tried a little too hard too. I feel that (view spoiler) And I didn't mention this in my review, but I don't understand the whole . . .

I agree. [spoilers..."

I just realized I said, "seductive reasoning" instead of "deductive reasoning." Lol. That's what happens when you're typing on your iPhone.

But again, I agree. I think with so much purple prose going on it kind killed the emotional impact that scene is supposed to have.

Reynje Maybe this book would have been more interesting if Cassia had used some seductive reasoning. Haha!

Steph Sinclair Reynje wrote: "Maybe this book would have been more interesting if Cassia had used some seductive reasoning. Haha!"

That would have spiced things up for sure! Lol.

message 27: by Lissa (new)

Lissa I'm not surprised you couldn't find a climax in Crossed. Matched lacked one as well. That was the most frustrating thing, for me.

Braiden I feel pretty much the same about Crossed. Nicely written and composed review.

message 29: by Kyle (new) - rated it 1 star

Kyle Wasn't the biggest fan of Matched, thought it was pretty good, but now I have no intention of buying it, but I'll probably just try the library.

Steph Sinclair Lissa wrote: "I'm not surprised you couldn't find a climax in Crossed. Matched lacked one as well. That was the most frustrating thing, for me."

Lissa, I searched and searched for it! I just was unfortunately unsuccessful. :(

Braiden wrote: "I feel pretty much the same about Crossed. Nicely written and composed review."

Thank you, Braiden. :)

Kyle wrote: "Wasn't the biggest fan of Matched, thought it was pretty good, but now I have no intention of buying it, but I'll probably just try the library."

The library is definitely the way to go for Crossed.

message 31: by John (new)

John Egbert So many questions, so little time, and so little fucks of mine to give.

lol XD

I think I'll be staying away from this one. I can't stand boring books. Another great review, Steph!

Steph Sinclair Thanks, Mello. You would hate this one. I can see your review now. Lol.

Laurel This was magic. And your ending poem? So inspiring. It spoke to me!

Excellent review, Steph!

Steph Sinclair Thank you, Ghirardelli!

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

That top giff is so funny I watched it over and over. Great review Stephanie :)

Steph Sinclair I know, I love that GIF. Poor girl. Lol.
Thank you. :)

message 37: by C.C. (new)

C.C. I was curious about this book, but then I read some of the reviews... Is this one of those books where the female lead can't choose between two hot guys?

message 38: by Lissa (new)

Lissa Crystal wrote: "I was curious about this book, but then I read some of the reviews... Is this one of those books where the female lead can't choose between two hot guys?"

So basically you're asking if this is a young adult romance?

Steph Sinclair It's weird because the book clearly has a love triangle that will probably be more prevalent in the next book, but sort of 'hides' in this book. One of the love interests is only in the first few chapters. However, she will have to choose in the next book.

Steph Sinclair Lissa wrote: "Crystal wrote: "I was curious about this book, but then I read some of the reviews... Is this one of those books where the female lead can't choose between two hot guys?"

So basically you're askin..."

Lol. 'Tis the formula.

message 41: by C.C. (last edited Dec 09, 2011 06:44AM) (new)

C.C. Stephanie wrote: "Lol. 'Tis the formula.
"

What do you mean? The love triangle? love square? *shrugs* Maybe it is a formula. Sorry, its just that Im looking for something new, you know, without the love polygon. Thanks though. Great review btw :)

Steph Sinclair Yup, that's what I meant: the love triangle with two howt guys the heroine must choose from. I know what you mean about looking for something new. They all seem to have the same formula and it gets really old fast.

Thanks for the compliment!

Skyla I see Doctor Who, Sherlock, Up! and other Sherlock Holmes GIFS and I go AWESOME! Then I actually read the review and am like AWESOME! and then I go back to trying to reread Matched before reading Crossed...I'm not getting very far, damn J for buying it for me and guilting me into reading it. I just have to remember that it has potential even if Condie doesn't let it reach that potential, maybe she will be the end of the series.

Steph Sinclair I'm hoping for the same Skyla, but Condie has a lot of plot holes to fill in just one book. :/

message 45: by Olivia (new)

Olivia I wish there was a "Love" button on this review! Oh well, I'll just "Like." =(

Steph Sinclair Olivia wrote: "I wish there was a "Love" button on this review! Oh well, I'll just "Like." =("

Thank you! :D

message 47: by Abby (new)

Abby washburn i love it

hpboy13 Agree 100%! I don't think there was a climax in this book... or I just didn't care by that point.

Steph Sinclair Abby wrote: "i love it"

Thanks!

Hpboy13 wrote: "Agree 100%! I don't think there was a climax in this book... or I just didn't care by that point."

It was probably both.

Krisma but i love it's poetry!

« previous 1 3