Rich Stoehr's Reviews > The Monster at the End of This Book

The Monster at the End of This Book by Jon Stone

Mar 11, 11

bookshelves: my-childhood

I remember this book well.

I remember Grover's initial shock at the discovery that there is, indeed, a monster lurking at the end of the book in my hands.

I remember the whispered entreaty to please, please not turn the page - adorable, fuzzy Grover does not want to see the monster!

I remember the increasingly desperate attempts Grover makes to stop me from turning the pages: tying the book together with rope, building brick walls between pages, nailing the book shut, each one rendered perfectly with light-hearted illustrations, each time Grover's panic growing as the end of the book grows ever nearer.

I remember the feeling of delight and the sense of power as I turned the pages despite Grover's warnings, overcoming his obstacles again and again, heart racing as the monster at the end of the book grows closer...closer...

(It's no wonder I'm such a fan of horror fiction as an adult. This book set me up for life.)

I remember turning the final page, past Grover's final adorable plea, to discover...

What, you think I'm going to TELL you?! Think again - read this book to your kids or better yet, let them read it for themselves. Let them discover the nature of fear and the strength in conquering it, the fun of having a character in a book interact with them directly.

They'll remember it for the rest of their lives.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Monster at the End of This Book.