Emily's Reviews > Beauty Queens

4319857
Jun 18, 11

bookshelves: young-adult, road-trip, death
Read from June 17 to 18, 2011

I am a big fan of Libba Bray the human being, but I also happen to be a pretty big fan of Libba Bray the author. This book only further cemented my love on both accounts. I'm a girl, so I get the insane shit that goes down when it comes to shaving, hair, make-up, beauty stuff etc. Its insane, completely filled with unrealistic crap that makes girls want to kill themselves. This book takes that and runs with it in the most awesome way. You could sort of describe this book as a satire of beauty pageants, mixed with Lord of the Flies, mixed with the tv show Lost (epic). The characters are realistic and funny, the writing its beyond hilarious - Libba even drops in product placement (fake) and pokes fun at everything she can think off. The thing is though, while its wildly funny and totally poking fun at the commercialized way the world has become - especially the way we focus on pretty people - it is also crazy smart and thought provoking. Why do we focus so much on pretty? Why are their ridiculous standards that no one can ever live up too? How the hell can we learn to say fuck all that shit and simply be happy? Well, I've asked myself those questions more than once, and I still will, its a process, one that one book won't change, but it sure will help. All in all, this book made me laugh on multiple occasions and made me really think on others. Libba, is in fact a genius.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beauty Queens.

06/18/2011 page 206