Doug's Reviews > The Time Traveller's Guide to Medieval England: A Handbook for Visitors to the Fourteenth Century

The Time Traveller's Guide to Medieval England by Ian Mortimer

Oct 21, 2011

Read from October 06 to 21, 2011

When Ian Mortimer describes a fourteenth century history text as "informative and enjoyable", he may as well have been describing his own work in The Time Traveler's Guide to Medieval England. I applaud his choice of the 14th Century for this work. It was certainly a period of interesting people and stark contrasts. It was the age of Chaucer and the time of the Plague (actually several). The Peasants Revolt, an aftermath of the plague, set the stage for much of what followed in English history. Certainly people such as John of Gaunt (and his wife Katherine Swynford), the "Black Prince", and the kings of this century are central figures that we learned about in history class. What is great about this book, is that he spends at least as much time on the common man as he does on the aristocracy (lay and clergy). I found this to be well written and entertaining and I would certainly give it an enthusiastic recommendation.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Time Traveller's Guide to Medieval England.