Braiden's Reviews > Misfit

Misfit by Jon Skovron

Jul 24, 11

Read from July 17 to 19, 2011

Hesitant due to the significantly mixed reviews it has so far received, and simply because I was curious with the galley in my possession, I thought I’d have a go at Misfit by Jon Skovron. I actually did enjoy it. Although it did have its faults which were easily seen within a few chapters of reading.

Jael has known all her life that she is a halfbreed; half-demon due to her mother (a good-type of demon) and half-human due to her father (a priest). They once made a dynamic demon-banishing duo, but since Jael’s mother was killed her father has been on the run, hiding, doing all his best to keep Jael out of the spotlight from the dark forces that are after them. And they are only after Jael for one reason; she’s a halfbreed. (Halfbreeds are apparently epically dangerous. Think of what Merlin did.)

The major problem this novel has is with its pacing. The culprit I believe is the way we learn about the past. At the end of one chapter Jael feels something, touches something, and then the next chapter begins this past memory with no introduction or narration by Jael herself. It was just like the past was happening in the present. These events are what interrupts the flow of the plot. This would’ve worked better if these events had been told to Jael more as a verbal teaching and less as visual-seeing-memory (think of Harry Potter’s ‘Pensieve’ minus Jael experiencing the memory; it’s just there).

It wasn’t until Jael turned sixteen that being half-demon is harder than it actually is. Jael seemed to have been dumped with what she is almost straight away (prior to knowing and through the memories). She accepted her newfound abilities almost immediately. I would’ve liked to have seen her adapt to them, rather than commit to them instantly.

However, put aside the pacing problems and the unlikable writing, Misfit had a cool plot. It revolves around religious themes, mainly Catholicism since Jael attends a Catholic school, which could make or break the views of other individuals while reading. But I guess that’s what you get when you read a book mainly about exorcism and demons. What I did enjoy the most about this novel was the way Jon Skovron had used this idea of convincing the elements to change or do something magical, rather than manipulate them with a flick of hand...wand, etc.. It seemed well thought out for the most part.

Now I know this is an advanced reader’s copy and will have some, if not a couple, typo’s, paragraphing or formatting problems, but Misfit had major complications which in part can be a culprit of its poor pacing too. Jumbled words and paragraphing errors there were. The ones that I had problems with though, were: 1) when Jael speaks at to Asmodeous for example, his words are just paragraphs where you have to assume he is communicating, which could have been better if italicised; 2) the letters/messages should have been indented, italicised etc. like we usually see them; and 3), he abused a rule in writing that I’ve read publishers don’t like: he used too many ellipses or '...’. And I mean too many. Ideal storytelling devices seemed to have been just ignored. Hopefully these are all put right before final publishing.

Misfit was a paranormal/supernatural YA that will interest you if you enjoy exorcism-type novels. Or demons, in general. By the way, I had trouble picturing Jael’s uncle, who is half-shark apparently.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Misfit.

Quotes Braiden Liked

Jon Skovron
“The stuff you do is way more important than the stuff you believe.”
Jon Skovron, Misfit

07/17/2011 page 38
07/17/2011 page 54
14.0% "What the hell just happened?"
07/18/2011 page 124
32.0% "This book has its flaws. But will continue reading to see where it goes. Certainly different."
07/18/2011 page 308
80.0% "Pacing keeps changing...hmmm"
show 1 hidden update…