Crystal's Reviews > Zero Day

Zero Day by Mark Russinovich

Mar 10, 2011

bookshelves: arc, for-review, read-march-2011
Read from March 10 to 12, 2011

Zero Day is a thrill-ride that is scary and yet you can't quit turning the pages either. I enjoyed this possibly plausible techno-thriller from Mr. Russinovich from start to finish.

I really liked the characters. For a suspense/thriller that is really plot-based, a fair amount of character development went into the main character of Jeff. The rest of the characters aren't as fleshed out, but their motives and reasons for doing what they do and who they are aren't as integral to the plot. Jeff was likable and realistic. I was rooting for him through the whole book.

I also liked that the story was told from varying points-of-view. From the different good guys and from the various bad guys and the ones that were kind of in-the-middle as well. This was a great way to tell the story and thankfully Mr. Russinovich kept the number of characters down to where it was never too confusing about who was speaking and which characters were involved in that chapter.

The suspense kept the story moving pretty well. There were a few times when I felt it was a little bogged down in techno-speak, but never enough to make me want to put the book down. It seemed every time it started to bog down, something would happen to suck me right back into the story.

A good techno-thriller that is reminds me of the early Tom Clancy novels that I first read where I was afraid that book would get into the wrong hands and give the other side ideas. It's that kind of scary, but that is also what makes it a good read, especially when you have good guys like Jeff working to save the day without realizing he is the one who can save the day. It's a character like Jeff that really makes this book for me personally.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Zero Day.

03/10/2011 page 26