K.D. Absolutely's Reviews > Under the Skin

Under the Skin by Michel Faber

Jun 03, 12

bookshelves: 1001-core, crime, suspense-thriller, guy-lit, sci-fi, fantasy
Recommended to K.D. by: 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die (2006-2010)
Read from May 27 to June 03, 2012, read count: 1

Surprisingly good. The book will keep you turning the pages because of the slow tease. In the end, I was expecting something like The Silence of the Lambs but Faber probably anticipated it and he brought me to a place I've never been before. That's despite that I already have 700+ books in different genres in my read folder. Definitely my first time to have encountered and read something like this.

It is a story of a pickup lady named Isserly. She drives back and forth in a Scottish highway looking for beefy young hitchhiking men. When she sees one, she assesses him first by passing through them and when she is certain, she makes a U-turn and picks the young man up. Then... I will not go on as this is a highly spoilable book. I will not even dare to put a spoiler (hide/show) because I have friends here who does not know how to behave and they just click on them. Just trust me when I say that, if you are any of the following, you will love this book:
(1) A lover of good storytelling that uses slow-tease. The reason why Isserly picks the beefy young men and what do "they" do with those men;

(2) Mystery/suspense/sci-fi/fantasy aficionados. The twists are just not easy to predict so I just lumped all those genres in there so as not to reveal too much. What I am trying to say is that if you love one of these genres, there is something in this book for you.

(3) A writer who is interested on how to play with POVs. The bulk of the book is told in Isserly's point of view but every time there is a hitchhiker who has just got in her car, the POV shifts to him and I just loved knowing what the young man thinks of Isserly. I did enjoy these parts.

(4) If you are a meat-loving person. I had the same feeling while reading Douglas Adams' The Restaurant at the End of the Universe. Remember the talking giraffe?
I think I have to stop now. Otherwise, I will spoil your fun! One last note (so I can remember if someone asks): the title comes from Amlis saying "We're all the same under the skin" when Isserly says that she does not really doubt if there's much similarity between the way he and she (Isserly) live and breath. (p. 164).

This is a proof that not all 1001 books are serious or literary. This one is just different. The variety is one of the reasons why I am sticking to that list. It provides me with an unbelievable breath and width when it comes to reading experience. Just great!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Under the Skin.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Cecily You don't think this book is serious?

K.D. Absolutely Cecily wrote: "You don't think this book is serious?
It's not heavy-going, but I think it's trying to make some very serious points, mainly about what it means to be human."

It felt just okay. I think I was struck mostly by the non-human events. I am also not really a sci-fi kind of guy anymore, Cecily. I think. Oh, maybe until I find another Hitchhiker's or something.

Cecily There is no other Hitchhiker's!

K.D. Absolutely Cecily wrote: "There is no other Hitchhiker's!"

True. So sad, he is already dead.

message 5: by Ivonne (last edited Apr 20, 2014 06:00AM) (new)

Ivonne Rovira K.D., where can one find an app or a spreadsheet for checking off the books as one reads them? I downloaded a 1,001 Excel spreadsheet, but -- alas! -- it wasn't the official one. I also found an app -- but just for the iPhone, not Android SmartPhones.

I don't think this book was even on the list on my faulty Excel spreadsheet.

K.D. Absolutely Ivonne wrote: "K.D., where can one find an app or a spreadsheet for checking off the books as one reads them? I downloaded a 1,001 Excel spreadsheet, but -- alas! -- it wasn't the official one. I also found an ap..."

1001 list changes every two years. I used to keep a spreadsheet too but I got tired of updating it. Maybe I will go back to it someday but for 2012 edition I just bought the book.

Previous to that I had the copy of original one (2006?) and 2008. I did not buy the 2010. Go to the 1001 Book Group here on Goodreads.