Nicole's Reviews > Oliver Twist

Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens

F_50x66
Feb 13, 08

bookshelves: classic

Reading this novel was a delight. Perhaps, it was so wonderfully moving because of some personal dilemmas occurring in my life at the time. My good friend, Christina deJong had just passed away from a horribly debilitating disease, cancer, and I was having problems grieving. And then I read this moving passage:

'but this should give us comfort in our sorrow; for Heaven is just; and such things teach

God's will be done! I love her; and He knows how well!'

Reminding me that Christina was in a better place was extremely comforting, and made this book even more unforgettable.

Indeed, I am a hopeless romantic. I read one particular chapter over a dozen times. In fact, I have the text of this chapter on Kurzweil that I have the ability to hear any time I wish:

'I only wish you had

left here, that you might have turned to high and noble pursuits

again; to pursuits well worthy of you.'

'There is no pursuit more worthy of me: more worthy of the

highest nature that exists: than the struggle to win such a

heart as yours,' said the young man, taking her hand.

This scene would make a perfect movie. Wonderfully romantic. Great book! :-)

click here to read Oliver! movie review

©N. Kent Last Updated: July 20, 2007 Email Nicole Kent

Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens

Reading this novel was a delight. Perhaps, it was so wonderfully moving because of some personal dilemmas occurring in my life as the time I was reading this. My good friend, Christina deJong had just passed away from a horribly debilitating disease, cancer, and I was having problems grieving. And then I read this moving passage:

'but this should give us comfort in our sorrow; for Heaven Finn just; and such things teach us, impressively, that there is a brighter world than this; and that the passage to it is speedy.

God's will be done! I love her; and He know how well!'

Reminding me that Christina was in a better place was extremely comforting, and made this book even the more unforgettable.

Indeed, I am a hopeless romantic. I have read one particular chapter over a dozen times. In fact, I have the text of this chapter on Kurzweil that I have the ability to hear any time I wish:

'I only wish you had

left here, that you might have turned to high and noble pursuits

again; to pursuits well worthy of you.'

'There is no pursuit more worthy of me: more worthy of the

highest nature that exists: than the struggle to win such a

heart as yours,' said the young man, taking her hand.

This scene would make a perfect movie. Wonderfully romantic. Great book! :-)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Oliver Twist.