Jaime the Wizzard's Reviews > The Softwire: Virus on Orbis 1

The Softwire by P.J. Haarsma

Mar 15, 2011

bookshelves: free, science-fiction, young-adult
Read from March 10 to 13, 2011

I’m going to be completely honest with y’all: the only reason I downloaded and read this book is because Nathan Fillion tweeted about it. If I can’t trust Captain Tightpants to recommend good books who can I trust?

Anyways, this book was really engaging right from the get-go. If you’ve ever played a board game called ‘Starfarers of Catan’ then some of the back-story may look a little familiar (it did to me anyways) but that made it more enjoyable for me. We start off on a ship with 200+ kids running around with no adults and we follow them and our main character Johnny for the rest of the story.

I really liked this book the characters where fleshed out and had personality, the world-building was interesting, and it had lots of non-humanoid aliens which is always a plus! I haven’t been this intrigued by a YA hard Sci-Fi since I finished the Dragon and Thief series by Timothy Zhan. You do see the plot holes that other reviewers mentioned, but the ride is so fun you give it a pass. I will definitely finish this series!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Softwire.

03/10
17.0% "soooooo good so far!"
04/06 marked as: read