Thomas's Reviews > Forge

2018505
Mar 10, 2011

bookshelves: young-adult, historical-fiction
Read from March 22 to 25, 2011

Forge was a compelling book about the Revolutionary War, specifically the events that took place at Valley Forge. The main character, Curzon, is an escaped adolescent slave who enlists in order to keep himself safe and serve a purpose.

I liked this book, but not as much as its predecessor, Chains. Generally I do not enjoy historical fiction, so the fact that I finished this book in a couple of days says something about Laurie Halse Anderson’s writing ability. She keeps things interesting but relevant to the Revolution, intertwining history and original plot development without becoming tiring.

The reintroduction of Isabel toward the latter half of the novel seemed out of place and awkward, though I loved her character in the previous book. She reveals a revelation to Curzon that isn’t further fleshed out, and their ensuing romance was rushed without explanation, especially because when they finally reunite they are angry and separated from one another.

Regardless of these problems, Forge is a great book to read for historical fiction and young-adult fiction fans alike. The extensive research performed by Anderson is extremely evident, and I am looking forward to the next installment in the Seeds of America series, Ashes.

Want to read more of my reviews? Follow me here.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Forge.