Newt cox's Reviews > The Bachman Books

The Bachman Books by Richard Bachman

Apr 04, 11

bookshelves: horror, own
Read in September, 1990 — I own a copy

I will break this down based on the stories in this collection.

Rage

This is not only my favorite thing King wrote as Bachman but also one of my favorite pieces of "horror" fiction ever. This is the story about a Teenager who takes a class room hostage. And he talks to his classmates and trys to explain why he has done what he has done. This story is a nice look inside the mind of a very troubled teenager. Sadly since Columbine Mr King has pulled the story from print.

The long walk

Set in the near future. This is about a grueling contest. Where all the people in it besides one will die. Very well written and it has an amazing ending. bachman is great at getting you into the mind of the main charecter and this allows you get connected with the story.

Roadwork

Roadwork is my least favorite of the four stories in this collection. It is a story about a man that has lost almost everything. And he finds out that the city is taking his house to make way for a new freeway. he plans on blowing up all the heavy equipment that will be used to build the freeway. Roadwork is still a good story,but pales in comparision to the three other stories in this colleciton

The Running Man

Running Man is the most well known story in this collection. Cause of the film verison starring Arnold. But the story is very different from the film. I love how Bachman predicts the coming of reality TV gameshows. A man is who is down on his luck plays on a gameshow to get the much needed money to keep his child from dying. Great fast paced story that never lets up.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bachman Books.