Bobbi's Reviews > Kristin Lavransdatter

Kristin Lavransdatter by Sigrid Undset

May 15, 11

bookshelves: historical-fiction
Read from March 16 to May 15, 2011

I just finished the first book in the trilogy and really liked it - probably a 4. I'd read so many good things about the trilogy and wasn't disappointed. It's about Norway in the Middle Ages; not much history there that I know anything about! Kristin's father arranged a marriage for her but she fell desperately in love with another man. Obviously this causes a great deal of anger from her father who finally agrees to dissolve her first betrothal but refuses to consider the man she loves. I read all day while simultaneously watching March Madness so you know it must have been a good book! On to the second book.

I liked the second book a bit better than the first. There was much more insight into the history and politics of Norway during the Middle Ages. Kristin has married the man she loves and moves to his estate in northern Norway. Cold! She begins having children, all sons. Her husband, Erlund, has flaws which begin to show and annoy her. The marriage weakens. But her love for her children is paramount. It's a little hard to follow the characters as their names are difficult to pronounce and keep track of and the towns unfamiliar. The last part of the book makes the historical aspects come alive as they intimately involve the lives of Kristin and Erlund. A definite 5.

The third volume is about Kristen's life as she grows older. I must admit by the time I got to this volune, I guess I'd had enough of Kristen and couldn't finish it. But for those who stick to it, I'm sure it will be as satisfying as the other two.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kristin Lavransdatter.