Cascata Nerina's Reviews > Pale Demon

Pale Demon by Kim Harrison

Jan 09, 12

bookshelves: feminist, halloween, paranormal, urban-fantasy
Read from March 10, 2011 to January 05, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: Once

I just finished reading the newest addition to the series, which is most of a year old now. However, I found that this one was my favorite in the series so far.

***Minor Spoiler Warning***

There, you have been warned, keep reading at your own risk. I am a 'shipper. I'm completely for Rachel and Trent getting together. Rachel and Al have a great dynamic as well, and occasionally I'll root for him, until he goes and does something stupid (as he did in this book). However, the other guys (and gal) in Rachel's life seem to be a little too powerless or floppy next to her.

Pierce has a great attitude, but can't seem to tell where the line of stupidity is. And all the other guys are dead (or at least gone), either because of their stupidity in general or because they didn't listen to Rachel's warnings.

Ivy, I'm sorry to say, seems to have stagnated. However, she appears to have realized it, so perhaps that will change.

Jenks and Rachel have almost a bromance, which could be a romance if Jenks was people sized permanently, but since I believe that Matalina is in the chrysalis I don't think that's going to happen. Though, it is from Al, so something uber-scary could be in there too.

Trent though, something about him just sits well with me. I like Rachel and Trent's dynamic the fighting and the trust. I like their history, how there always seems to be just a little bit more to it than we think.

This book really pushes their relationship along, of course being trapped in a car ride for 3000 miles will do that to anyone, unless person A kills person B. Then of course there's the end of the book, which I won't reveal, but I will say that any Rachel/Trent person would love.

So, just as I was about to give up on this series, because I was getting sick of it, Harrison pulled a rabbit out of a hat and dragged me back in. A lot happens in this book - not just the Rachel/Trent stuff.

There's Rachel vs. the Coven, Rachel vs. the Demons, Rachel vs. A New Demon, Rachel vs. Newt, Rachel vs. Pierce. Lots of stuff. Lots and lots, we even see a whole new Pixie culture.

If you like X try Y:

Guilty Pleasures (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #1) by Laurell K. Hamilton Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter #1: Guilty Pleasures, by Laurell K. Hamilton

This series goes in a more violent and more sexual direction by turns. It's a little more extreme and graphic in both areas than Harrison. However, it still has the "paranormal cop catching paranormal bad guys" thing going. Anita is just more ... official... sometimes... than Rachel is. Though Anita can also be farther off the rails.

Currently there are twenty books in the Anita Blake series, some better than others. Kiss the Dead, number twenty-one, will be released on June 5th.

Bitten (Women of the Otherworld, #1) by Kelley Armstrong On the other hand, if you prefer a "Happily Ever After" ending with each book, instead of having the romances dragged out and changed like a soap opera, try Kelley Armstrong's The Otherworld #1: Bitten. It still has kick ass females who work ... somewhat ... like cops, but each story has a definitive end and each book (or lately arc) ends "Happily Ever After" so far.

Kitty and the Midnight Hour (Kitty Norville, #1) by Carrie Vaughn Kitty Norville #1: Kitty and the Midnight Hour by Carrie Vaughn

This series is a little lighter than Harrison's, but it still has a touch of the shadow in it. Like Harrison's music page these also come with a soundtrack inside each book, which links back to Kitty's roots as a night time music radio show host (which she turns into a talk show).

Currently, there are nine novels out and one anthology. I believed the series was finished, but apparently Vaughn has contracted for another 4 books, making #10: Kitty Steals the Show due out in spring.

Moon Called (Mercedes Thompson, #1) by Patricia Briggs Now, if you like your Urban Fantasy cultures mixed with your High Fantasy cultures. (AKA werewolves and vampires mixed with your fairies and your elves.) Then I have to recommend Patricia Briggs's Mercy Thompson #1: Moon Called.

This time though, while Mercy can kick butt, she isn't volunteering to wear a badge or even just get paid as a private investigator to do so. She just wants to live her life, and trouble keeps showing up on her doorstep. Isn't that always the way with strong women?

Currently there are six books out, and the seventh is not scheduled until the spring of 2013. No, that's not a typo. Briggs is a slow writer. However, there is a companion series called Alpha and Omega. The first part is a short story in the On the Prowl anthology, and the first novel is Cry Wolf. Of these, two are out, and a third is being released on March 6th.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pale Demon.

01/01/2012 page 62
14.0% "Totally forgot I was reading this!"
01/02/2012 page 68
16.0% "Got to the opener for Chapter Three, and I'll read more tomorrow. The characters know something is up which means either the twist will be brilliant or fall flat on its face. There's no in between if the characters can see it coming. However, Harrison is usually pretty good with her twists."
01/03/2012 page 99
23.0% "It's starting to get really interesting now. I've been a Rachel-Trent fan since we found out about their history together."
01/05/2012 page 431
100.0% "Finished, but my review of it doesn't come out until 1/9. Then I'll finish it here and post the review."