R.J. Gonzales's Reviews > Chain Reaction

bookshelves: own
Read from August 17 to 22, 2011

Originally posted at RJ Does Books
Rating 4.5/5

I think it was my fault that this book got a 4.5 out of 5 from me, instead of a perfect score. I’ve been waiting for it for so long, pre-ordered it a while back, and got angry when they pushed the release month from May to August. During that time, anticipation and high hopes began to settle in. Does that mean Chain Reaction wasn’t good??? Hell-to-the-no, it was fantastic and a great way to wrap up the series of the undeniably addicting Fuentes Brothers/Perfect Chemistry series! Simone only further proves exactly why she is high on my list of favorite authors.

Why a 4.5 and not just a 5, you might ask, well read on.

Where do I begin? Lets start with Eeeep! ^_^, ok, now that that’s over and done with, let’s move on to the next item on the list…the review.

Chain Reaction features Luis (pronounced Loo-eese) who is the softer side of the family compared to his older brothers. He has dreams of going up to space one day and exploring. He is well-educated and school driven, and overall a “good” boy. But that doesn’t mean he doesn’t have the flirt, wit, charm, humor, thirst for danger and adrenaline rushes, and alluring qualities that run deep in the Fuentes blood.

Nikki, of course, is the other main character/love interest. She suffers a traumatic experience when she was only about 15 or 16 and decides to swear off trusting anyone and gets the impression that “ALL guys are liars and will break your heart”—for about a little more than half the novel. That, I found, was just a little bit of an issue at least until she warmed up and easily became a likeable character. One can only take depression, or all of these “down” emotions that are dragged out for longer than they need to be for so long before they feel the need to slap someone or grab them by the shoulders and say “GET OVER IT!”. It didn’t work for me with Nora in Crescendo by Becca Fitzpatrick, and it just didn’t work for me here either.

Nevertheless, by the end, I did end up liking Nikki and rooting her and Luis’s relationship on. In the end all of these things were needed to further deepen the emotions between the two young lovers and for that I applaud Ms. Elkeles and her fantastic books. I really enjoyed Chain Reaction and would recommend it to all those who are fans of the series. It is definitely the perfect end.

Aside from the usual steamy scenes and the adorable flirting that are almost always guaranteed from a Fuentes brothers storyline, I found that the extra little scenes in the background—the scenes that focused on the other two brothers Alex and Carlos’s life, were freaking awesome. It gives you a peek into their lives, and I cannot thank Simone Elkeles enough for giving us that. There were moments when I was literally yelling” NO!” or “OH MY GOSH!!!” I love when a book can get you to feel alongside the characters.

And the Epilogue at the end….OH MY GOSH!!!! YES! I couldn’t help but tear up at the last page, it was beautiful, and now I am sad that this is the end of the Fuentes Brothers/Perfect Chemistry series :’(

Final Thought: A great end to a phenomenal series that I will never forget…..and still secretly want more of.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Chain Reaction.

08/17/2011 page 1
0.0% ":]"
08/18/2011 page 36
11.0% "Eeeeeeeeeeeep!!! ^_^ haha."
08/18/2011 page 72
21.0% "And I will leave off here for the night, to get some sleep. ^_^"
show 5 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Reading Rhino Press Awe yeeaaah!!

R.J. Gonzales Reema wrote: "Awe yeeaaah!!"

Heck yeeeeeeaaaaaaah xP After waiting all year for it!! :P

message 3: by Dylan (new) - added it

Dylan Awww, it wasn't 5/5 material? xD

R.J. Gonzales Dylan wrote: "Awww, it wasn't 5/5 material? xD"

At first when I finished it I was like "Definitely 5!", but after I let it sit for a while I was like hmmm....wait a minute...lol xP