Matthew's Reviews > Genkaku Picasso, Vol. 1

Mar 11, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: graphic-novels, manga, young-adult
Read from March 10 to 11, 2011

Having barely survived having a helicopter crash on top of him (yes, really) teen recluse and art nerd Hikari discovers his art now has the power to see into the heart of those around him. But this new power comes at a price----his body will quickly decompose if he doesn't use his power to help those around him. Aided by the spirit of his dead friend Chiaki---who was also killed in the crash----he begrudgingly sets out to help his fellow students improve their lives.

It has a nice balance between humor and seriousness and Furuya does a great job in telling a story with a "hero" that's not just unlikable but an out-an-out prick. It's quite a fun concept, but I don't think delivered quite as well as it could be. I can put my finger on exactly what's missing here, there is something that's not quite working for me. Some teens will pick this up just because it's been running in Shonen Jump, but I don't see this one being immensely popular.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Genkaku Picasso, Vol. 1.