Vickipedia's Reviews > Ender's Game

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Mar 18, 11

bookshelves: own, recommeded-by-others, sci-fi
Read from March 10 to 17, 2011

What a smart, mind-blowing, f'ed up, heartbreaking, and fascinating read! Every kid I've known who's read Ender's Game from middle school to college raves about how great the storyline is, and I can finally see why.

The idea of using children to fight against intergalactic space bugs in a war for humanity seems:

1. unlikely
2. ridiculous and
3. like a movie directed by Paul Verhoven

kind of threw me off in the beginning. But I was hooked after I read the first chapter knowing that the protagonist, Andrew (Ender) Wiggin, was a smart (to say the least) 6 year old who had it in him to WIN (and kill) at any cost (this includes fights both at school on Earth and during the games at Battle School where he would fight with and eventually lead his own squadron).

As you're reading through the story you get to grow up with Ender up to about his teenage years. You get to experience what it was like for Ender to be alone, to feel unloved, and as a result, compensate for that lack of affection and parental/sibling love by being the best in Battle School. However, to coincide with that desire for acceptance Ender constantly fought against the idea of serving as a pawn for the benefit of his teachers at Battle School (e.g., they want me to win but they keep changing the rules, so I'll go ahead and finish the game by ending it early). It's messed up with the teachers do to essentially break Ender down, but in the end is it any different than a parent or teacher pushing you to be the best that you can be?

I'm curious to see how Card ended the saga and will definitely check out Speaker For the Dead and Ender's Shadow in the future.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ender's Game.

03/16/2011 page 173