ambyr's Reviews > The Eagle of the Ninth

The Eagle of the Ninth by Rosemary Sutcliff

I'm grateful to the movie The Eagle for two things: Jamie Bell, and the fact that it made me reread the book.

I love Sutcliff's language, not just her poetic descriptions of the landscape but also how, in a few, brief words, she's able to sum up complex emotional states. "He was very afraid of kindness just then" never fails to make me tear up.

(view spoiler)

I do find Esca's easy acceptance of slavery a little jarring. And as an adult reader, I note that for a book set in a polytheistic society, it takes a remarkably Christian approach to religion; yes, there are temples to many Gods mentioned, but the protagonists both pray only to one God, and much is made of the fact that while they are praying to different Gods, both Gods are ultimately "Gods of Light." But other than that, it holds up superbly for an adult reader, both as an adventure story and as something deeper. I should reread it more often.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Eagle of the Ninth.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Colleen (new)

Colleen Thank you. This kind of book review is just what I like to read. You "sell" the story on both its strengths and weaknesses, as they are personally resonant to you.