Robyn's Reviews > A Clockwork Orange

A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess

Mar 10, 2011

bookshelves: reviewed, old-faves, tricky-prose

Everyone has that one really life changing book, the one they never forget; the one that changes the way they look at literature forever. For me, this was that book. The first surprise was the use of this made up language, "Nadsat." As a casual fan of fantasy novels, this was not an entirely new concept, but the scope in which it was used was challenging. Besides which, my copy had no glossary. I was expected to just figure these words out on my own somehow! In addition, the message of the book leaves so much up to interpretation, and forces a reader to ask essential questions about free will, the usefulness of the justice system, what the youth of the future will be like, given trends of gang violence and lack of respect for authority. There are so many conversations this book can start, that it boggles the mind. With so many possible interpretations, and avenues of philosophy, psychology, sociology, and so many other ologies to follow, this book unlocked for me what truly great literature is capable of.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Clockwork Orange.