Sammy's Reviews > She's Come Undone

She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb

Jun 12, 07

bookshelves: a-the-best
Read in June, 2007

I have to wonder if any of Lamb's children were teenage girls while he was writing this novel. If not, then I'm sure his wife had her brain picked apart to help him write this novel. Why? Lamb so captures the teenage girl spirit in this book (or at least the spirit of a crushed and ruined teenage girl) that it's hard to believe this wasn't written by a woman.

Delores's story is moving and has something we can all relate to, especially those of us who have ever gone through a trauma or depression. But one thing that's different about Delores is that you can't pity her. She doesn't want that, and Lamb has not written her that way. At times you find yourself wanting to scream at her to wake up and do something!

With the exception of Delores's college "companions" most all the other characters she encounters are fully developed and interesting. They all appear in Delores's life for a reason, enriching her and teaching her a lesson, though not always a lesson Delores learns from.

I don't feel that this is a book that I can criticize this book as much as I should. She's Come Undone is for anyone struggling in their life. In a way it will help you realize that you're not alone, other people have been through shit too, and you can overcome it and be stronger in the end. And even if you haven't been through anything difficult (which I find hard to believe) you should still read this book, because it's still a really good book.

And now, I'm going to end this because I have forgotten what else I want to say. I suppose I've said enough though, and I hope you will read this book if you haven't or tell me what you thought if you have.
69 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read She's Come Undone.

Ellen I agree. I liked the book even more because he captured the essence of a woman.

Nikki I loved this book!

Jamie Clark I read this book when I was dealing with some difficult issues and I fell in love it. I have read it several times. Great review!

Twaithe This is a good book. I don't understand how people can "absolutely hate" it. Yes, there's a lot of tragic times in this girls life. But guess what...that's life. Things like this happen.

Lori Pfannenstiel One of the best books I have ever read! Absolutely love it!

Dysmonia Kuiper I agree, it's astounding how well Lamb captures the perspective of not just a female, but a young and damaged one.

message 7: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Loved This Book So Much! I pick it up often and read my favorites excerpts.

message 8: by Madelyn (new)

Madelyn Green wally lamb is so talented his books stay with you and make you think. I have reread them often.