Karissa's Reviews > Of Swine and Roses

Of Swine and Roses by Ilona Andrews

Apr 06, 11

Read in April, 2011

This is a short young adult story by the Ilona Andrews writing team. It is a very cute and sweet urban fantasy with a romantic twist to it. Definitely worth the 99 cents to read, especially if you are a fan of the Andrews' writing.

Alena is forced to go on a date with a Thug named Chad. You see her family is powerful in magic but poor and Chad's family is rich and would be a great fit...politically. Alena hates the idea but agrees for the good of the family. To say the date is a disaster is understating things; especially since it ends up with Alena chasing a pig through mud and ruining her favorite shirt. In the end though things aren't quite what they seem...

This story is very short; took maybe 10-15 minutes to read. But in that small space the Andrews create an excellent world and vivid characters who you really grow to love. I am always amazed at how complex a world and characters these authors create in such a small space. The characters are witches and are part of a complex political structure.

Definitely worth the read if you are a fan. To be honest I didn't like it quite as much as their adult stuff. My favorite non-series based short story by them is still The Silent Blade. Still it was a very fun and cute young adult read and I am glad I read it.

This would be something that could be expanded into a great YA series and hopefully there are plans for that...although I haven't heard anything.

Overall worth the read. It is a good way to be introduced to the Andrews writing. A fun, cute, and sweet story full of magic, humor, and irony. I really enjoyed it. Hopefully they will start a YA series in this awesome world at some point!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Of Swine and Roses.