Theresa's Reviews > Life, In Spite of Me: Extraordinary Hope After a Fatal Choice

Life, In Spite of Me by Kristen Jane Anderson

Mar 10, 2011

Read in March, 2011

This book gripped me from the very beginning. When I began to read this book, I expected to read for half an hour or so, in between housecleaning and laundry duties, but, three hours later, I completed reading the very last page. I was unable to put the book down. This autobiography of a suicide attempt and God's redeeming love, is what the author calls a love story -- of a girl and her God, and how He used her near-fatal choice to draw her to Him.

If you have ever struggled with depression, anxiety or thoughts of suicide, this book is one you should read. This is the true story of a young woman overwhelmed by tragic events that sent her reeling, the death of her Grandmother, the deaths of 3 friends, 1 by his own hand and then being raped by someone she thought she could trust, all within a 2 year span. So overwhelming in fact that she made the near-fatal choice to lay down on the railroad tracks as a freight train, consisting of 33 cars, barrels towards her at 55 mph. She should have been dead, but God had other plans for her life.

The book begins with her suicide attempt, and takes the reader through the tragic events that lead up to it, and her remarkable journey to recovery. She includes letters and notes of things she wished someone would have said to her while she was struggling sprinkled through the book. At the end, she includes a list of red flags that indicate the contemplation of suicide as well as tips for how to help.

Despite the moody nature of the story line, depression and suicide attempt, this book is really quite inspirational, and I would highly recommend it to anyone that has ever struggled with depression.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the Blogging For Books review program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Life, In Spite of Me.