Jen (Red Hot Books)'s Reviews > The Darkest Kiss

The Darkest Kiss by Gena Showalter

Mar 10, 11

bookshelves: lords-of-the-underworld, pararnormal-romance
Read in March, 2011, read count: 2

As much as I loved, The Darkest Night, I think I may just love this one a bit more. Why? Because I'm a sucker for a tortured hero, that's why. And Lucien fits the bill in a big way. He is one of the Lords of the Underworld, immortal warriors cursed to each hold a demon's soul inside his body. Lucien's demon is Death itself. He's lived a long, lonely existence. He fell in love once, hundreds of years ago, but was forced to ferry his woman's soul to the Otherworld. It was just too much for him to take. He cut, burned and scarred himself... to turn women away... so he would never again know the pain love can bring.

Then, along comes Anya. She is the minor goddess of Anarchy. And she's got it bad for Lucien. She practically throws herself at him, but he can't believe she could really want him because of his appearance. The sexual tension was so thick, you could cut it with a knife. Anya has a curse of her own to carry --she can't have sex. But that doesn't stop this book from being RED HOT SEXY. Lucien spends the book fighting his very real attraction to Anya, while trying to reconcile his feelings with an order from the Titan king Cronus to kill her. This --as the couple works together, trying to recover lost artifacts that will lead them to Pandora's Box.

There were only two things I didn't love about this books. One: I hate it when Anya calls Lucien "Flowers." And two: it's sometimes hard to believe that even Anya would keep coming back as many times as Lucien rejects her. It helps, as a reader, to know he doesn't mean it. But he slaps her down so many times, it's a miracle she didn't give up on him. Anya is a fantastic heroine: smart, capable, confident, and beautiful.

If you like Paranormal Romance, you must read this series. It is fantastic. 5 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Darkest Kiss.

Quotes Jen Liked

Gena Showalter
“He had a bleeding cut on his leg and he smelled like shit.
Her nose wrinkled. "Step in something?" she asked innocently.
"That I did not mind." He took a menacing step toward her. "What I did mind was being hit by a cab, then landing on the lap of a naked man. With an erection, Anya. He had an erection.”
Gena Showalter, The Darkest Kiss

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Mrs.Vishous-Kattalakis-Belikov :::Para Itch Reviews::: This one was one of my favs as well! Don't you just love Anya??

message 2: by DGS (new) - rated it 5 stars

DGS I loved this one too. Sooooo much.

Ollie I'm waiting for this book to arrive in the mail and I can't wait! Oh poor Lucien. So that is why he is scarred!

Ok so if she can't have sex do they? Shhh you can tell me I promise not to tell. LOL need to know. :)

Mrs.Vishous-Kattalakis-Belikov :::Para Itch Reviews::: Ollie wrote: "I'm waiting for this book to arrive in the mail and I can't wait! Oh poor Lucien. So that is why he is scarred!

LMAO!! We are so alike...LOL!

message 5: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen (Red Hot Books) Of course they do! It just takes a little while. :)

Ollie Mrs.Vishous-Kattalakis-Barrons-Belikov wrote: "Ollie wrote: "I'm waiting for this book to arrive in the mail and I can't wait! Oh poor Lucien. So that is why he is scarred!

Ok so if she can't have sex do they? Shhh you can tell me I promi..."

Hi V and Jen!

LOL yes I have a one track mind and it's fun! :D