Kressel Housman's Reviews > The First Four Years (Little House, #9)

The First Four Years (Little House, #9) by Laura Ingalls Wilder

Mar 10, 11

bookshelves: fiction, historical-fiction, classics, little-house
Read in October, 1976

If The Long Winter was above my level in second grade, The First Four Years, which I think I read in third grade, was even more so. It’s not as long; in fact, it’s the shortest in the series, which is why it attracted me, but it’s about Laura’s first four years as a married woman. How can an eight-year-old relate to that? I remember Rose’s birth, I remember a fire, and I remember that they went through many other hardships, though I can’t specify what they were. All I remember is that it wasn’t a happy book, and because of that, it’s not at the top of my “to re-read” list.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The First Four Years (Little House, #9).

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist" I was probably about 10 or 11 when I read this one. I remember being less thrilled with some of the later books in the series, although I still liked them. I do remember the fire. That may be the only thing that sticks in my mind.
Kressel, you've inspired me to go back and re-read some of these books. I was absolutely obsessed with them from 4th grade through about 6th grade, and I've NEVER gone back to revisit them. I don't know why. Thanks for the inspiration.

message 2: by Chanah (new)

Chanah As a married woman, you will probably find this more interesting now. Since this was never really finished, or polished, nobody really knows what the intentions for this book were: a continuation of the series, or a book for adults.

Kressel Housman Chanah! I was wonderifng if you were still around!

Jeanette - so funny how GoodReads works. One reviewer got me on this binge, and now you might be doing it, and who knows whose spirit will be ignited next.

message 4: by Chanah (new)

Chanah Yes, I'm still here. I am just afraid of putting anything on my profile, because then I become too obsessed with it. That's why I took everything off.

And yes, I too have started Little House on the Prairie. I haven't read the series for at least ten years, so it is nice to do so again. It also helps to look at outside sources. I never really appreciated what was going on outside the Ingalls family, and the legality of their settling where they did never really crossed my mind before.

Kressel Housman Guess how Hashem responded to my Little House binge? My family got an invitation to spend Shabbos on a farm upstate! It was awesome!

message 6: by Angelina (new)

Angelina Now that's cool! So what did you do during your rural Shabbos?

Kressel Housman Watched the cow milking. And motzai Shabbos, we roasted marshmallows in the fireplace.