Tricia G's Reviews > Half Empty

Half Empty by David Rakoff

F_50x66
Mar 10, 11

Hmmm... So can I tag it "read" if I decided to stop reading it and never pick it up again??? I tried really hard for about 15 pages. The premise is very interesting and has a lot of potential, but I can't get into it because of the language/style used by this author. I'm struggling to describe this (and that's probably why I'm NOT an author), but he uses such complex language that your brain is tied up in following the adjectives and pronouns, that you miss the beauty of the story. For example, from the very first page, this is ONE sentence:
"Like Edith Wharton's Gilded Age Buccaneers, when titled but cash-poor Europeans joined in wedlock with wealthy American girls in the market for pedigree, there were mutually abusive marriages popping up all over the city between un-moneyed creatives with ethereal Web-based schemes and the financiers who, desperate to get in on the action, bankrolled them."
I get it, I understand what he is trying to say, but EVERY sentence is like that...... Maybe I just tried to read it too late at night. If you like this style, go for it! [Maybe you can convince me to give it another try!]

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Half Empty.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Amber Did you ever re-start. I'm on Page 14 and have had to look up three words already... I know exactly what you're talking about!

Tricia G nope! never have. there are SO MANY great books out there, that I've decided that this one just isn't for me. :-)

good luck!

Tricia G No, I gave it one star because I didn't enjoy it, and couldn't recommend it.

So glad that you (apparently) enjoyed it.

Hope that you're having a fabulous weekend!

message 4: by Lars (new) - added it

Lars Have you ever heard him read? His may be the type that is helpful to read aloud--if you ever try it again.

Laura I agree-I listened to the audiobook and enjoyed it very much. He did enjoy writing complex, descriptive sentences.

Michelle Oh my gosh, Tricia G, I completely agree with you! My thoughts exactly! Maybe I'm just a simpleton and can't process too detailed sentences. I heard that this is supposed to be really funny, though, so maybe I'll try the audio book version and give it another shot.