Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides's Reviews > The Ages of Chaos

The Ages of Chaos by Marion Zimmer Bradley

Mar 11, 11

bookshelves: science-fiction, fantasy-fiction, cover-pretty-white-girl
Read from March 09 to 11, 2011

So, I checked this out from the library (having previously read both books in the omnibus) because Jo Walton's review of Hawkmistress made me want to re-read it.

Unfortunately, I thought Hawkmistress was terrible. Romilly thinks she is/is portrayed as on a quest when the reality is that she's just kind of bouncing around. And her father and almost everyone else blaming her for his beating her? Just no.

Stormqueen, on the other hand, was much more readable. Though there was an element here of "weirdly compulsive without actually [being] good," as Walton put it.

It was weird, but as I was reading Stormqueen in particular I could see how Mercedes Lackey's Velgarth setting (or at least some elements like the makes-you-glow-blue truth spell) grew out of these books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ages of Chaos.

03/11/2011 page 548
71.0% "Okay, not enjoying Hawkmistress so much. Mostly because of the irritating narratorial intrusions. Like, Romilly doesn't think of herself as being on a quest, or as young. Stop that please?"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Cass 크리스티나 I don't think that Bradley is in anyway portraying that it is morally right that Romilly is getting blamed for being beaten by her father - rather she is simply portraying what a specific society is like and how they would react to something like a father beating his daughter.

For that matter, victim blaming still happens nowadays - 30 years after Bradley wrote 'Hawkmistress!' My point being is simply that she presented a real social issue in the story (within the context of the story without getting preachy), while IMO excellently showing the ramifications of victim blaming through the main character of Romilly (Romilly runs away right after the beating).

I agree with Jo Walton. "Romilly’s rapport with animals is done brilliantly."