Angelique's Reviews > Thoughts on Peace in an Air Raid

Thoughts on Peace in an Air Raid by Virginia Woolf

Mar 17, 11

bookshelves: challenge-2010-2011, read-in-english, brit-lit, non-fiction, beautiful-covers
Read from March 10 to 17, 2011

Thoughts on Peace in an Air Raid by Virginia Woolf is a collection of ten short essays:

1) Thoughts on Peace in an Air Raid,
6) How It Strikes a Contemporary,
7) Why?,
8) The Patron and the Crocus,
9) Modern Fiction,
10) How Should One Read a Book?

Most of the essays (4-10) dealt with Literature and Writing and these were great - Woolf's intelligence, wit and humour fascinated me in every one of them. "Street Haunting" was amazing, it reminded me of "Poem of Ecstasy" by Scriabin and Mrs Dalloway. "Oxford Street Tide" gives a picutre of London's Oxford Street that situates you in an atmosphere similar to one of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes tales. Finally, let me say a few words to the essay giving this small volume it's name: "Thoughts on Peace in an Air Raid" left me wanting for something when I finished it. I wondered if it was cut short (but there was no sign, so that cannot be the case) because she didn't 'convince' me as much as her writing usually does - the way I remembered it from A Room of One's Own. I re-read it to see if it was my mistake - maybe I didn't read with enough concentration or something. After the second try I saw the points she wanted to make in a brighter light but nevertheless, a feeling of uneasiness stuck. Maybe the reason for this feeling is that I wasn't convinced with the impression of plains flying over her house WHILE she was writing it - which does not mean that she is lying but that she did not make it vividly in her essay. I didn't really feel her fear or anxiousness. All in all, it is a good essay but not as good as the other ones of this collection in my opinion.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Thoughts on Peace in an Air Raid.