Lloyd's Reviews > Batman: Gothic

M_50x66
Feb 05, 14

bookshelves: 1990s, comic-book-graphic-novel, grant-morrison, batman
Read on February 05, 2014

As I continue my reading of the works featured in the book "Grant Morrison: The Early Years" and the study of Morrison's work itself, we come to "Batman: Gothic".

This tale sees Batman following the trail of Mr. Whisper, who is killing crime bosses in Gotham City and may have ties to Batman's late father and his youth.

Morrison infuses this classically told Batman tale with a bit of his usual subect matter. We see studies of Gothic architechture, religious ceremonies, the occult, and other usual Morrison fare. What sticks out about this one, though, is that Morrison doesn't really abandon the classic Batman motifs. We see all the Batman gadgetry, the Batman vehicles, the villain catching Batman in a death-trap, and even the occasional joke with a punchline that might make you groan. It almost feels as though Morrison has penned an episode of the classic Batman TV show here, but even still, you can feel his influence in the story.

Recommended for fans of Batman, Morrison, and those who might lean toward more classic superhero tales.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Batman.

02/04 marked as: currently-reading