Shanil's Reviews > You Are Not a Gadget

M 50x66
Mar 24, 11

liked it

I enjoyed the book.

I love analogies and he sometimes has really crappy analogies. Feel like I'm just dropped off a cliff sometimes and he goes from making a good point to.. well nothing... it's almost amusing at time. Reminds me of a Mark Twain short story (which I'll add a addendum once I remember the name) except that MT does the extrapolation to nothing on purpose for humour. The first time it happens in Gadget I reread the chapter only to fall flat on my face again... After the third read, at the pace of my 5 year old reading from the ladybird classic, I realized the reason some of the analogies fell apart was that the writing was so loosely structured that

DESPITE this he makes some great points about the evolution of the internet and computer tech in general that motivates me to be more engaged and aware of how I use the stuff. Neat that he brings up a number of controversies I've thought about and arise with trainees who depend more and more on tech. (unlike me travelling to a warm beach destination with my laptop.. which is TOTALLY different)

My favourite phrases;

Collectives can be just as stupid as any individual- and, in important cases, stupider

Information is alienated experience. ( I like this last one because I've always argued that knowledge is experienced information... and I like it when people agree with me... I still can't believe you bookclub members for not cherishing Yossarian *sigh*.. I still hold high hopes for Rorschach! )

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read You Are Not a Gadget.