Dustin's Reviews > Raise High the Roof Beam, Carpenters & Seymour: An Introduction

Raise High the Roof Beam, Carpenters & Seymour by J.D. Salinger

Mar 20, 11

Read from March 16 to 20, 2011 — I own a copy

I think it was pretty fitting that Seymour: An Introduction was the last work to be published in Salinger's last book. It is clearly largely auto-biographical, and seems to hint at why he chose the life he did. Honestly, the first two thirds of it are insufferably long-winded and boring. Really not all that interesting. Ostensibly, he is answering fan mail about Seymour's appearance. But it just goes on and on. In the end it turns into a nice description of Seymour's kindness and character.

Raise High was a fun and wacky story. I actually quite liked it, which is why I ended up giving this book 3 stars.

So now that I am done with Salinger, I think I can get a sense of partly why he stopped publishing. It seems he just fell in love with his Glass family characters, and I'm not sure he was able to move away from them. His refrain was that he was writing, just not publishing. So I picture him in his NH home, just tapping away, making the lives of the Glass family come out of his typewriter, for his own benefit. It makes me quite curious if we will ever see what came of it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Raise High the Roof Beam, Carpenters & Seymour.