Vicki (The Wolf's Den)'s Reviews > Naked Heat

Naked Heat by Richard Castle

May 31, 11

bookshelves: mystery, realistic, romance, girl-power, the-wolfs-den-reviewed
Read from May 29 to 31, 2011, read count: 1

In April of 2010 I wrote and posted my first book review on my blog. Now, just over a year later, I've read and reviewed its sequel. It really takes me back to how far I've come, you know? But enough reflection and on to my review.

I could go into a bunch of background info about Castle and comparisons, but I don't want to repeat myself from my last review. That being said, I have to say I'm extremely impressed with the improvement between Heat Wave and Naked Heat. For those who haven't read the first novel, it's not necessarily a pre-requisite for the sequel. Most of the information is recounted for the uninformed (or forgetful, in my case) and I honestly don't think I lost anything in not re-reading its predecessor. But from what I do remember (and what I picked up from re-reading my review), the improvements came not only in copy-editing (only 1 typo this time!), but the characters, the plot, everything just felt tighter, more in-sync with what I'd expect of a mystery/crime novel.

As my regular readers know, mystery/crime fiction is not my usual genre. Taking that into account, those readers more familiar with the genre might find this book a bit simplistic in its make-up. I, however, appreciated the fact that I never got lost and never suspected the actual killer until it was revealed. It was just the right balance of information and suspense that keeps you hungering for more. I'll admit, there were times when the plot stalls a bit, but let me assure you that the characters are more than enough to pull you through.

The characters are just as sharp as ever—even more so, actually. Nikki is the same kick-ass heroine, balancing precariously between independence and solitude, seriousness and humor, feeling too little and feeling too much. I do find it slightly annoying that in both books Nikki is assaulted by a killer. In Heat Wave it was a fight to the death in her own apartment, and this time it's an abduction and torture. I understand the desire to juxtapose the tough, no-nonsense cop by also making her a victim, but do we need it so bluntly depicted in each book? I sincerely hope this doesn't become a recurring theme.

Rook is definitely less conflicted, serving to further illustrate the complexity of the heroine, but his wit and sense of humor are always a joy to read. Raley and Ochoa also tend to be on the comic-relief side, but they too have their serious moments to balance things out. I especially enjoyed when the narrative perspective traveled from Nikki to focus on one of the others. Especially Rook's perspective, which masterfully fed the sexual tension of the story.

It's interesting to note how the author still manages to create sexual tension in a series where sex happens. Off screen, of course, but still there. In TV shows it seems like the only way to have sexual tension is to keep the characters as close together as possible without actually letting them "get together". Here, however, the action of sex is less a victory or a finale, because the main battle between the two characters is whether or not they can remain friends. Heat and Rook haven't yet hit that chemistry point where nothing can pull them apart, so getting them in bed together doesn't seem nearly as fulfilling as getting them to crack jokes together in the daylight.

Overall, this was an excellent mystery and addition to what looks to be turning into a fantastic series. Fans of Castle are probably the main audience for this series, but I think this book especially will appeal to mystery or crime fiction readers who don't mind a little humor and romance mixed in with their murder. Based on the steamy scenes and some graphic language, I'd recommend this for an older audience, definitely not below high school. In short, if you're in the mood for a fun, steamy, witty romp through the city that never sleeps and don't mind a bit of intrigue, scandal, and murder on the side, you should pick up Naked Heat now.

Approximate Reading Time: 5.5 hours

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Naked Heat.

05/30/2011 page 120
41.0% "One chapter past where I'd planned on stopping - funny how a sudden kidnapping makes you want to keep reading ;)"
show 1 hidden update…