Keith's Reviews > Collected Poems, Prose, and Plays

Collected Poems, Prose, and Plays by Robert Frost

Feb 13, 14

bookshelves: favorites, partial-read
Read from February 03 to 13, 2014

I am not attempting to read this book (with more than 900 pages) all the way through at one time. Instead I'm reading one section at a time and I'll offer my opinions on each as I read them. I will add that the Library of America edition is nice collection. I highly recommend it to anyone with a serious interest in poetry.

North of Boston(1914) **** – This groundbreaking volume contains several of Frost’s most famous poems including Mending Wall, The Death of the Hired Hand, and The Wood Pile. What’s fascinating to me is his frequent use of dialogue in this set. Eight out of the 14 poems are dialogues between two or more people, and a few are dramatic monologues. During the height of Modernism, Frost’s poems are more like playlets – mini dramas – mostly written in blank verse with some, but little, narration. (02/2014)

Mountain Interval (1916)**** -- This is one of Frost's best books of poetry (not counting his anthologies). It includes many of his most famous poems including The Road Not Taken, An Old Man's Winter Night, The Oven Bird, Birches, and Out, Out, plus many other gems. It displays all of Frost's darkness and comedy. I highly recommend this selection. (03/2013)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Collected Poems, Prose, and Plays.

02/03 marked as: currently-reading