February Four's Reviews > God's War

God's War by Kameron Hurley

Mar 09, 11

Read in March, 2011

This book is possibly the first apocalyptical SF book I've read set in a distinctly Middle-Eastern type of setting. It has bugs for the ick factor (I'm not a fan of them), and it has a really strong kick-ass female protagonist (I'm a HUGE fan of them).

The world-building is detailed in the gritty sort of way (though I did find myself wondering what regular people did and how economies continued to work with such a vicious war going on.) The politics of race are unfortunately very vivid and ring true, to the detriment of the human race (but to Hurley's credit). She has the human eye of the true novelist, and every single character in this book managed not to read like a caricature. This is rare and fantastic, and I eagerly await Hurley's next book.

I have to say, Hurley thinks big when she writes. I'm not very familiar with the details of Islam, but her writing of the Islam-influenced religion (and its various splinters, one of which led to the war that's going on in the book) rings true.

Highly recommended, especially with an open mind.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read God's War.