Reading Vacation's Reviews > The Brimstone Key

The Brimstone Key by Derek Benz

Mar 09, 11

Read in October, 2010

REVIEW

Steampunk meets the modern world in Minnesota. It may sound weird, but IT WORKS. I was drawn into an amazing world of supernatural beings (fairies, unicorns, changelings) and wild clockworks (robots with a reason for being). The descriptions were spot on and made this crazy world come to life.

The main characters, Max, Natalia, Ernie, and Harley, were typical kids in a world that was anything but typical. I liked that they got along and worked together so well. My favorite character was Natalia. She didn’t care about fitting in with the cool crowd, instead she was just happy being herself. You all know how much I love that sort of female character. Just be yourself!

Changelings sound so cool. Ernie has the power of super speed. There are other powers such as walking through walls, teleporting, and hearing the thoughts of others. That’s the power I would want – hearing the thoughts of others. I bet I could put that one to good use!

My favorite scene was the first day of school at Iron Bridge Academy. There were all sorts of wild things going on at the school – disappearing changelings and a collapsing ceiling make for an interesting first day. The ending is a bit of a cliffhanger. Hopefully the next book is out sooner than later.

The Brimstone Key is the first book in The Clockwork Chronicles trilogy that follows the Grey Griffins trilogy. While I haven’t read the first trilogy yet, I was able to follow the story just fine. I definitely want to go back and read it now though because I want to know more about what happened earlier. I recommend this book for middle grade and young adult readers alike.

Thank you to JS Lewis for sending this book for me to review.

RATING

4 Ending

23 TOTAL

5 STARS
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Brimstone Key.