Reading Vacation's Reviews > Deception

Deception by Lee Nichols

Mar 09, 11

Read in October, 2010

REVIEW

Deception is a story of survival. Emma finds herself abandoned. Her parents never return from a business trip, her best friend ignores her, Social Services are called, and she is shipped off to New England to live with a guardian. I loved how the suspense grew as Emma navigated through these events.

Deception is also a story of love. Emma’s guardian is a hot guy named Bennett. There is an attraction between these two, but they struggle with those emotions. Should Emma pursue romance with her guardian or not? They are both realistic teens, yet they also have an air of mystery to them. I found their relationship fascinating.

Deception is a ghost story. Emma learns that she is a ghost keeper with amazing powers. Lee Nichols introduces all sorts of ghosts. Some are funny and friendly while others are spooky and evil. I enjoyed the humorous scenes that Emma had with some of the ghosts and I found myself on the edge of my seat for the fight scenes with the mean ghosts.

Finally, Deception is a mystery. The plot took me on an adventure as the history behind Emma’s powers is explored. I also wondered what all of her visions meant. There is so much to learn and I liked how little pieces of the story were slowly revealed.

I really enjoyed Deception. It is well written with a plot that does not quit. The sequel, Betrayal, releases in March, 2011. It is firmly on my wish list.

RATING

5 Plot

4 Characters

5 Attention Grabbing

5 Girlie Meter

4 Ending

23 TOTAL

5 STARS

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deception.